• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

previous owner took off my egr???

gregorys1989

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
So ive been told to check my egr for the cause of my bad idle. Ive been looking for sometime and could not seem to find it. So i referred to one of the diagrams Chilton has for the egr setup. It is gone, the previous owner has the egr caped off in each spot it hooks up. The intake has a piece of metal over it with bolts holding it down. Should I just go to the scrap yard for something like this or is there somewhere i can get the whole set up for cheap?

gregorys1989

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
from my understanding there is a hose that goes from the exhaust manifold to the intake manifold with the egr connected to the intake on the driver side of my vehicle. I can see the obvious spots where it is supposed to be, but yet it is not there. Who's bright idea was this that said "ohh i dont need that". Sad to say butt i almost find this funny.

gregorys1989

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Why is it in the chilton diagram then for my year, and engine size? im confused here.

locovaca

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Sorry to inform you, but the 93 & older 3.0's in the Ranger never had any kind of EGR setup on them. Your 92 never had that on there.
Actually, I thought 93 Autos had an EGR, MT did not. Not sure if that extended any further back than 93 or not.

TheUgster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6 3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I have a '93 and I've definitly got an EGR setup, went trolling around a junkyard the other day for the cover plate and screw for the EGR valve I just put in, but apparently every other Ranger except mine has an EGR Valve without that useless hole in it.

locovaca

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The other thing is that I believe California Emissions models might have had EGRs. Do you have any plugs disconnected around the Intake? If not, it's possible someone put a new ECU in that had Cali emissions.

gregorys1989

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah i have one plug that is disconnected on the passenger side by the intake manifold. its more towards the distributer if that helps any. elaborate a little though please, what is an ecu? does that replace a egr? Im almost certain the truck is originally from new mexico.

locovaca

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yeah i have one plug that is disconnected on the passenger side by the intake manifold. its more towards the distributer if that helps any. elaborate a little though please, what is an ecu? does that replace a egr? Im almost certain the truck is originally from new mexico.
ECU = Engine Computer. Can you take a pic of the plug or describe it (number of pins, color of wires coming off, etc.)

gregorys1989

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
These are the best pics i could come up with. the wire has two red leads with what looks like some kind of cap on the conecter. The other pic is a pic of my intake manifold where the egr is intended to be. The other pic is what is what i think is my "exhaust manifold" , driver side, where the egr is intended to take the exhaust from. Fealing around on this piece i see no cap off device or screw holes. so im not sure whats going on here. Please any help would be really appreciated

Attachments

gregorys1989

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
just realized the third pic on the attachments "the two lead red wire" i was talking about. u cannot see. It pretty much lays on top of the valve cover. dont know what its for. it has a black base and that grey cap covering the connectors inside. I have yet to remove this grey cap because i have no idea what it goes to. In the California emissions, what do they use in place of a egr?

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
just realized the third pic on the attachments "the two lead red wire" i was talking about. u cannot see. It pretty much lays on top of the valve cover. dont know what its for. it has a black base and that grey cap covering the connectors inside. I have yet to remove this grey cap because i have no idea what it goes to. In the California emissions, what do they use in place of a egr?
Thats not a cap, its either the SPOUT connector or the octane adjust shorting bar. (I'm not sure which one from the pic, they both look the same.) It has nothing to do with the EGR, leave it alone.

gregorys1989

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic

locovaca

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
These are the best pics i could come up with. the wire has two red leads with what looks like some kind of cap on the conecter. The other pic is a pic of my intake manifold where the egr is intended to be. The other pic is what is what i think is my "exhaust manifold" , driver side, where the egr is intended to take the exhaust from. Fealing around on this piece i see no cap off device or screw holes. so im not sure whats going on here. Please any help would be really appreciated
The presences of the block off plates does not mean that an EGR was there originally. EGR and Non-EGR applications use the same intakes; Non-EGR simply have the block off plate as you do. There is no knowledge to be gained from its presence alone.

The lack of an EGR port on the Exhaust Manifold highly suggests that your truck did not have EGR at all. Yes, it's possible that someone swapped a non-EGR manifold on, but it would've been easier to simply cap it off.

Do you have an AT or MT? I think you're chasing a ghost here. You would have at least two unused connectors, one for the EGR Position Sensor and one for the DPFE.

gregorys1989

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
auto and yes i agree about the chasing a ghost deal. Im going to purchase a proper code scanner with a digital readout "only 35 bucks" and see what that pulls up. ill post them here. thanks for the help

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals