• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2008 Ranger 3.0 Fuel Mileage ??

heeler

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I recently did a collision total on my 2002 SuperCab equipped with the 5 speed auto and 3.0 engine.
It was EPA rated in 02 as 17 city 21 highway.
Generally i would get 18.5-19.5 mpg's going to and from work and on the highway with the cruise set at 75 mph it would range 21 or a tad better.
I have found a left over new 08 set up almost exactly like my 02 but was put off by the 15-20 EPA mileage rating.
What happened??
Those of you here that have an 08 with the 3.0 engine and automatic transmission could you inform me of what you are getting.
I am looking at new 09's with the 2.3 engine and from what i have read here that engine is miles ahead of my old 1992 gutless Ranger that had the Lima 2.3 and gets better fuel mileage to boot.
Imho the 4.0 is more engine than i would need as i dont pull trailers and generally haul less than 500 pounds and dont need a 4x4.
Hard to believe it gets better mileage than the 3.0 too.
But i can buy this left over 08 for a very good price but after last years $4.00 a gallon gas if that truck now gets that poor gas mileage i would not be very happy with it at all.
All answers are appreaciated as i am going to have to buy a truck like really,really soon.

jasonl

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.25"
The EPA changed the way they rate the fuel economy to make it "more reallistic". If you go onto fueleconomy.gov they list your 02 at 15/20 under the new method. So basically you could expect the same mileage with an 08 as you did in 02. The 4cyl 5speed would be my choice too if I only needed a 2wd. They should get high 20's cruising down the hwy.

rurouni20xx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
more strict emissions regs, things had to be changed up in the system such as cat placement etc. all this has effects on mileage.

Kdawg532

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6 God's gift to man
Transmission
Manual
my window sticker says 18 to 23 and it general get 23-24

bobsleder251

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
i have a intake installed and with cruise control at 60 (i usually drive state roads) i get 23 mpg, city around 15-17 depending on how lucky i get with street signs. i have a 3.0L auto 2wd

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals