• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

One more 2wd 98 coil spring 5.0 swap.

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
I always wanted to retro fit a foxbody V8 exhaust to a V8 ranger, make a ranger sound like a mustang...

SVT
My first V8 Ranger (a 93 Splash with a 5.0L crate motor) had duals out the back with cats and Flowmaster 40's. It sounded just like a Mustang Gt. I loved that sound, I just wish it had more lope to it. I hope this one does even though the cam I selected is fairly mild.

Last edited:

Lariat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
When life is passing you by, downshift!
I cant wait to hear this thing with exhaust...

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
The xe270hr wound have been a better pick for the lope you want, but I think you'll like what you have...

SVT

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
The xe270hr wound have been a better pick for the lope you want, but I think you'll like what you have...

SVT
I remember looking at that one but ultimately decided on the more mild grind. I was a little worried about living with the truck for 200-400 miles per day and had to give up some performance for a little bit of reliability and comfort. But you never know, I may end up changing it out after 10,000 miles.

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
Friday I will be loading the truck up and sending it North about 45 miles to have the exhaust done. I have been working all week getting a few last minute things done so the truck can move under its own power. I ended up changing yokes on the drive shaft and it made the assembly just a bit longer. I didn’t like the way the drive shaft fit after the change so I went ahead and had about an inch taken out and then had it balanced. Prior to the change the yoke had very little clearance and was almost right up against the seal on the transmission. Now there is plenty of room for clearance as the suspension travels through its entire range of motion.

I also installed the factory rear sway bar, Curt receiver hitch, and rear bumper as all of these items will need to be considered when the exhaust is fabricated.

The blue tape on the frame brackets is just to let the installer know that they can be removed for clearance if needed. I hope to be able to hang a 17 inch Space Saver spare tire in the stock location.

I also cleaned up a few items under hood, locked down the battery, installed the hood latch and cable, attached the driver side O2 sensor, moved the AC/Heater box slightly (header clearance) as well as sliding the body on the frame 1/8 inch to the right (header clearance).

Tomorrow I will install the bed and torque the front suspension components. Two days and counting!

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Finally coming together! All that hard work is paying off. I see TOTY in your future :icon_thumby:

SVT

gsp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
Finally coming together! All that hard work is paying off. I see TOTY in your future :icon_thumby:

SVT
I never really thought about it but that would be a very big honor. I started browsing this forum long before I set my mind to getting involved in another Ranger build. It was the information within this forum that convinced me everything I needed was right here.

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
Today I packed up the new Flowmaster mufflers and drove the truck from the back yard and out on to the street where I loaded it on the tow dolly. After it was secured I headed north to deliver it to the shop that was scheduled to fabricate the exhaust for me over the next several days.

If all goes well I should be picking it up during the week and dragging it back home where it will be returned to the work area in the back yard.

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
I got the call I have been waiting for earlier today. “The exhaust is done, come and get your truck”. That is all I needed to hear. I finished up an early day of work and headed out!!!

I will try to get a few more photos posted tomorrow now that the truck is back home. I just ran out of day light and had to rob most of these off the fabricators Facebook page.

Sorry about the dirty hitch, rear bumper, spare tire, and bed. All those had to be installed early for mock up purposes.

They did a really clean job and managed to fit everything I wanted, custom removable x-pipe/mid pipe, 2 ½ mandrel bent stainless steel, all wrapped around a 17 inch Space Saver spare tire, and no fancy tips, just raw stainless straight out the back.

Last edited:

Grunizzle

01/2013 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V-6
Transmission
Manual
We want to hear what it sounds like!

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
We want to hear what it sounds like!
Oh, it sounds good! I let it run for about 15 minutes and it came up to operating temp for the first time. I was pleased that nothing was leaking and the water temp sat still at 192 degrees. I just need to hook up the upstream O2's and it should be fairly complete as far as the engine goes. All of the codes have been corrected with the most recent tune except for the O2 codes.

I will get some better photos and a video clip at idle tomorrow.

Stangman92

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Looks awesome!

deathbypsi

06/2012 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3turbo
Transmission
Manual
Wow that looks good! Shop obviously takes pride in their work.

Ranger_Man_007

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Great looking truck! Can I ask what radiator you're running?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals