• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Fusable Link?

drsvox

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6 2.8L
Transmission
Automatic
I'm usually pretty meticulous when it comes to "documenting" any work I do on my truck, but I must have passed over this one:

A few years back I ripped out the engine compartment wiring harness as part of a project, had to put work on hold, and now I'm back. I could use some help from the community on one wire in particular. I think it's a replacement wire to a fusable link. Here are the details:

- the wire plugs in (aftermarket standard electrical connector) to Black/Orange on Driver's side of compartment.

- the wire clips in along the radiator support (along with the lighting harness), with enough slack to reach the starter solenoid (which is where I think it connects).

- the replacement wire is red, and has a 'O' connector crimped on to the end.

I have looked through the wiring diagrams, but I don't trust myself enough to make assumptions or even educated guesses as to there this wire should connect. As previously stated, I'm pretty sure it goes to the starter solenoid, but again, not sure; nor where on the solenoid.

I appreciate any help!!

Thanks,
Chris

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Black/orange on an '83 Ranger should be from the Alternators B+ connection, the bigger wire.
It does run to the Battery post on the Starter Relay(solenoid) and is connected to that via Fusible Link C, 16gauge
This wire is so the alternator can recharge and maintain battery when engine is running.

16ga fusible link should be black or orange wire
18ga would be brown or red wire

Fusible Link gauge should be smaller than the wire it is being used with, so in high amp or short situations the Fusible Link wire will burn out first.
If main wire is 14ga then you would use a 16ga fusible link, if main wire was 16ga then you would use an 18ga fusible link.

Diagram here:
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/EDiagrams/files/diagram_charging_1983to1985_1.JPG

Last edited:

drsvox

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6 2.8L
Transmission
Automatic
Thank you Ron! Much appreciated.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals