• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

M5OD-r2 fitment

Nate.Mountain

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Long story short I am planning and beginning to collect the necessary parts for a 302 swap. Currently I have a Md05-r1 behind my 2.9, and I would like to keep the 5 speed. I would love a zf trans but fitment without a body lift looks near impossible, which means I'm going to go with the md05-r2. Based on the reading I have done, in order for the shifter to be in the right place I need a 99 or later Mdo5-r2 out of a 6 cylinder correct? I found a screaming deal on one out of a 99 6 cyl f150. I wanted to verify that this trans will work and has the shifter in the right location.

Also, will I need to adapt my driveshaft at all using this trans?

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Its 1997 and up from a 4.2l V6, found in F-series and some E-series trucks, and of course 2WD or 4WD according to your plans

Same bolt pattern as small block windsor, i.e. 302, but you will need to make the bolt holes in the bellhousing slightly larger, 4.2l used metric, 302 is SAE

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Trans is about an inch shorter IIRC than what you have now, how your engine sits in your truck if you are 4wd your t-case will factor into it too.

Pop it in and see where the chips fall.

Nate.Mountain

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the replies, great information. My truck is 2wd so I won't have to worry about finding a tcase that will fit. Did not know about the holes being too small, good to know so I can drill them out in advance. What size should the be drilled? Planning on using the motor mounts from the conversion kit from jegs. I guess I'll have to wait a see if the driveshaft is long enough or not.

I am doing the swap mid October, and I'll have a full week to do it. From now to then I'm collecting parts and trying to work out all the kinks i can think of so it will go smooth as possible.

2Krngr

Parts Hoarder
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 Supercab
Make / Model
Stepside
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0L GT40
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I have 5.0/MD05-R2 in a 2wd Supercab 2000 that had a 4.0/MD05-R1 in it stock.

I used a 99-03 f150 300 inline trans

My existing 4.0 driveshaft lined back up perfectly.

The shifter hole lined up perfectly.

The bellhousing holes need to be drilled to 1/2".

The two bolts on the rubber trans mount where about 1/2"-3/4" past the mount holes on the trans crossmember, I just slotted the holes on the frame and slid the crossmember back and rebolted. (you can also slot the two middle holes on the crossmember instead of moving the whole crossmember back, or a combination of both.)

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I used a 99-03 f150 300 inline trans
300's died in 1996, if you used a 99-03 trans it was a 4.2 V6. The earlier shifters would fit in Ranger's terrible so that is probably what you did.

4.2's used 12mm bolts for the bellhousing, SBF used 1/2". May take a little different size for the alignment dowels, I haven't checked too far into that.

And when I said the trans is an inch shorter, that is for 4wd's. 2wd's may be different.

V8 Level II

Dec 2008 STOTM Winner, 2008 Truck Of The Year
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Supercharged 5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
289/300/302/351 all used 7/16-14 bell housing to block bolts. I drilled my 97 M5ODR2 from 12mm to 29/64". A 15/32" bit would also work if that's what you have available. Going to 1/2" is probably ok but it's larger than necessary.

The alignment dowels are the same size for the 97-up metric R2 and the Windsor block. No worries.

Nate.Mountain

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks again for the info. There is a ton of variables in these swaps but knowing at minimum that the trans will bolt up, is approximately the same length, and that the shift will be in the right location is great to know. I want to avoid cutting the floorboard if at all possible.

Here is pictures of my truck currently. The 2.9 has 355,000 miles on it. This site has helped me with just about everything I have done to the truck.

Last edited:

2Krngr

Parts Hoarder
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 Supercab
Make / Model
Stepside
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0L GT40
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
300's died in 1996, if you used a 99-03 trans it was a 4.2 V6. The earlier shifters would fit in Ranger's terrible so that is probably what you did.

4.2's used 12mm bolts for the bellhousing, SBF used 1/2". May take a little different size for the alignment dowels, I haven't checked too far into that.

And when I said the trans is an inch shorter, that is for 4wd's. 2wd's may be different.
Sorry for the misinformation yes, I used the 4.2 v6 version.. The inline 300 was the early version MD05-R2 and shifter is closer to the dash and doesn't line up in the ranger shifter hole nicely like the 99-03 later version does.

The stock 302 dowel pins fit the trans fine, I didn't have to change anything there.

Nate.Mountain

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Another question regarding the trans. Will the master cylinder on my truck work? Is it compatible with the slave cylinder on the trans? If not what should I swap I swap out? (Truck is an 88, trans coming out of a 99 f150)

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
No, around 1992 the master/slave Quick connect fitting changed, so get a new master to match the new slave.
Later model master will fit into older model Rangers, only the connector was changed as far as I know

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals