• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

C4 Driveshaft Advice

Ranger289

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hi all,
I'm in the middle of doing a 289 swap on my '98 2wd and have run into a bit of an issue with the driveshaft. The stock aluminum shaft that I have is about 3" too short for the C4 bolted to the motor. Not only that, but the U joints on the transmission yoke are a different size than those on the driveshaft. Does anyone know of a quick fix for an issue like this besides spending the money on a whole new shaft? I'm not averse to going with a steel shaft, but the junkyards up here in Canada aren't exactly overflowing with old cars with C4s.

Any suggestions are appreciated, winter is fast approaching here and working outside isn't very pleasant in -30 C.

prymetime1

Reaction score
This a standard cab or extended? What's the measurement on your ds? I can check the length on the alum ds I plan on using for my xcab. Have u checked for aerostar ds lengths?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Ranger289

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Whoops, missed some relevant information there. It's an XLT extended cab, the driveshaft is 54" weld to weld. I haven't checked Aerostar shafts but there aren't a lot of those left up here. So far I'm thinking I'll try to find an F150 with a 302 in it, should have the right yoke and the right end to fit my factory 8.8". Any reason that wouldn't work?

prymetime1

Reaction score
Hey bud, so I checked my pics and the alum ds I'm using is about 78 inches. My truck is a 94 xcab with a 302 /c4. The original 2 piece is almost exact length as the alum. I'm pretty sure my ds came from a 98+ xcab so I'm not sure where the difference is coming from. I'll take a closer look this weekend n post back. If u have a local drive shaft shop, they might be able to shorten and modify it for your use.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Ranger289

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
*Correction: the driveshaft is about 64" eye to eye. Had the wrong driveshaft in mind. I was hoping there was an easy way around this problem but it's looking more and more like I'm gonna have to spend the money on having one shortened.

Last edited:

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Hi all,
I'm in the middle of doing a 289 swap on my '98 2wd and have run into a bit of an issue with the driveshaft. The stock aluminum shaft that I have is about 3" too short for the C4 bolted to the motor. Not only that, but the U joints on the transmission yoke are a different size than those on the driveshaft. Does anyone know of a quick fix for an issue like this besides spending the money on a whole new shaft? I'm not averse to going with a steel shaft, but the junkyards up here in Canada aren't exactly overflowing with old cars with C4s.

Any suggestions are appreciated, winter is fast approaching here and working outside isn't very pleasant in -30 C.
Why aren't you using the shaft that came with your truck ? As for different sized U joints, there are "combination" U joints available at the local parts houses to mate yokes and shafts with different sized U joints. If you need a longer shaft try one out of a full size pickup or van and have it cut down to fit.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Why aren't you using the shaft that came with your truck ? As for different sized U joints, there are "combination" U joints available at the local parts houses to mate yokes and shafts with different sized U joints. If you need a longer shaft try one out of a full size pickup or van and have it cut down to fit.
Holy cow he is back! :icon_surprised:

C4 is a lot shorter than anything put in a Ranger since the C5 days.

I don't particularly recommend it but I had my stock shaft retubed about that much longer than the A4LD driveshaft length. It was like $200 to retube the rear one and $50 to shorten the front one.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals