• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

look what i found

AgPete139

09/2014 OTOTM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
~9"
Tire Size
35"x12.50"x17"
i think its so weird that people do that (leave their rigs or trucks in the forest like that).

Like, WHY do they do it? Do some kids jack them, joy ride, and ditch them? Or do some guys think that retrieving the trucks are not worth it some times? Ive heard of guys in Magnolia driving so far deep into the woods and get stuck. They say "screw it," and desert them forever.

Lariat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
When life is passing you by, downshift!
Its amazing what can be found. I've found hammers. Posts, oh so many posts. once i found a whole driveshaft that looked to be from a 70's pickup. Gotta love trash...

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
i think its so weird that people do that (leave their rigs or trucks in the forest like that).

Like, WHY do they do it? Do some kids jack them, joy ride, and ditch them? Or do some guys think that retrieving the trucks are not worth it some times? Ive heard of guys in Magnolia driving so far deep into the woods and get stuck. They say "screw it," and desert them forever.
Well Pete, I'm gonna come down there and we are gonna go a salvaging.

AgPete139

09/2014 OTOTM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
~9"
Tire Size
35"x12.50"x17"
ADSM, let's go. Don't expect to find usable body panels; they usually have kicks or bullet holes in them.

I wonder if they'll do that with 37's in the future. It'll nice to know of a place that does them around here, just in case. The vulcanizing seems to be legit.

Nhaz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1998 and a few
Make / Model
Ranger+Ranger+E
Engine Size
4.0 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
I have successfully repaired a cut in a sidewall with a large patch inside the tire and Then a tube. drove on it all winter never had trouble. the cut was almost that size.

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i searched around town quite a bit for some one that does the vulcanizing repair. no tire shop wants to touch it, not even the semi truck tire places. seems that mom and pop tire shops used to do it, but theyve lost the art? i guess. i live in a kind of small town, maybe thats the problem. i might try and patch the holy crap out of it and put a tube in it.

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
I have asked around here at several tire shops that I have friends work at and they all said NO. They would not touch a side wall spilt..EVER. I thought maybe a tube....but they said they would not do it even for their own rides. Just too much of a risk of having somebody getting killed if it lets go. If you were to do it as a spare...maybe so...but not as a DD. Just be careful, Bro.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i searched around town quite a bit for some one that does the vulcanizing repair. no tire shop wants to touch it, not even the semi truck tire places. seems that mom and pop tire shops used to do it, but theyve lost the art? i guess. i live in a kind of small town, maybe thats the problem. i might try and patch the holy crap out of it and put a tube in it.
Go to a farm supply store, ask for a tire boot. It is a ginormous patch for just such an occasion. A farm tire place would have one too.

Nobody will touch it for liability reasons.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Nobody will touch it? Nonsense. Goodyear and a tire retreading place in town here both do vulcanizing for about $50 and I have had four sidewalls repaired like that.

Before I bought my new MTRs earlier this year, both my rear tires and my spare had vulcanized sections.

The repairs held up really well for several years and never leaked. I would be hesitant to use one on a daily driver or at least not in the front, but it is a MUCH better option than a tube (been there too, they last a very short time inside a radial tire.)

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Nobody will touch it? Nonsense. Goodyear and a tire retreading place in town here both do vulcanizing for about $50 and I have had four sidewalls repaired like that.

Before I bought my new MTRs earlier this year, both my rear tires and my spare had vulcanized sections.

The repairs held up really well for several years and never leaked. I would be hesitant to use one on a daily driver or at least not in the front, but it is a MUCH better option than a tube (been there too, they last a very short time inside a radial tire.)
I have had good luck with tubes in radials on implements. Shredders, plows and disks personally, and know some guys that run them on the front of tractors for thorn resistance.

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

the only place that i havent tried and i just thought of was a place called "commercial tire"

your comment makes me wonder, because i had just gone to a farming store, and was checking up on tire tubes (didnt have one for a 33") i didnt notice if they had ones with metal valve stems iether. but, ive read quite a bit about tubing tires. seems that people use tubes so they can air down and not worry about losing a bead (cheap beadlocks). and a lot of people daily drive tubes. and theres also something called a heavy duty tube for offroaders that holds the bead better or some crap.

im not sure if i could get it vulcanized if i should? or go tube, with a patch? its not daily driven. i put 1500 miles on it in the last year in the mountains.

my worry is that i go snow wheeling almost every weekend in the snow season. i air down without beadlocks between 2.5-10 psi (10 psi is where i start, and the tires air down really well at 10) i dont want the vulcanized section to come apart from airing down.

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have successfully repaired a cut in a sidewall with a large patch inside the tire and Then a tube. drove on it all winter never had trouble. the cut was almost that size.
almost didnt see your post, this was my original idea, vs vulcanizing. seems like a better outcome to me than worrying about the tire coming apart again while aired down.

tmcalavy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Given what you just described, I'd go with a tube. Wonder what the hole will look like with that little bit of air in the tube/tire?

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Given what you just described, I'd go with a tube. Wonder what the hole will look like with that little bit of air in the tube/tire?
i wondered that too,and also i didnt want to get water/mud in the tire, so thats why i was going to patch the tire and then tube it.

any one ever run the tubes with the rubber valve stems? id prefer metal..

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals