• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

new member needing help 1995 ranger cruise issues

pintobobster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
1995 ranger automatic 4X4 4.0L cruise control issues

speed control light has not worked since ive owned it, I have read posts on how to wire it to make it work, so I cannot do the self check at this time.

here are some issues and repairs to date, (may have forgot a few)?

issue
cruise just up and stopped working was working fine for 4 months then POOF NOTHING, (only have had for four months so gremlins are creeping up on me), all fuses are good, replaced both switches left and right on steering wheel, I have replaced cruise deactivation switch (twice and jumper) replace VSS on transmission, and ABS sensor on rear-end (why not they were cheap cost and i don't know what previous owners have done), opened up the servo no rust movement is good nothing sticking, cable moves freely to throttle, also checked all bulbs working fine

NOW
what I need and don't know is the trouble shooting the Voltages or resistance at connections or a good schematic to follow each wire, and what else could control the cruise to not work, I have a OBII code reader and it reads no codes, also I have a little electrical knowledge enough to trace issues, I have a good DMM, just lacking the knowledge to follow or trouble shoot or find a good diagram or schematic to trace

could some one with a lot more knowledge please assist me on this issue...

I miss my cruise and use it constantly ANY HELP is much appreciated

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If you look in the Tech Articles section and electrical section here: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/EDiagrams/index.htm

Then under Electronic Engine Controls, the last two links show standard cruise control wiring.

Most of the time the Speed Control Amplifier goes bad, which is the "brains" of the system, wrecking yards are good places to get a spare to test if that is the problem.

pintobobster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
If you look in the Tech Articles section and electrical section here: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/EDiagrams/index.htm

Then under Electronic Engine Controls, the last two links show standard cruise control wiring.

Most of the time the Speed Control Amplifier goes bad, which is the "brains" of the system, wrecking yards are good places to get a spare to test if that is the problem.
thanks ROND
I believe those are for the pre-1995 rangers

my ranger is a 1995
with the servo

this logging in thing is a pain

is there a way to not have to log in like every 15 minutes??

pintobobster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic

pintobobster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic

speed control light has not worked since ive owned it, I have read posts on how to wire it to make it work, so I cannot do the self check at this time.

issue
cruise just up and stopped working was working fine for 4 months then POOF NOTHING, (only have had for four months so gremlins are creeping up on me), all fuses are good, replaced both switches left and right on steering wheel, I have replaced cruise deactivation switch (twice and jumper) replace VSS on transmission, and ABS sensor on rear-end (why not they were cheap cost and i don't know what previous owners have done), opened up the servo no rust movement is good nothing sticking, cable moves freely to throttle, also checked all bulbs working fine

NOW
what I need and don't know is the trouble shooting the Voltages or resistance at connections or a good schematic to follow each wire, and what else could control the cruise to not work, I have a OBII code reader and it reads no codes, also I have a little electrical knowledge enough to trace issues, I have a good DMM, just lacking the knowledge to follow or trouble shoot or find a good diagram or schematic to trace

BUMP

i am still having this cruise control issue,

any thoughts??

pintobobster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
still needing some help from any group member(s)?? with this dang cruise issue

intermit works when going above 70MPH but NEVER works any other time

issue

NOW

pintobobster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Yep

well the cruise stopped completely

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
And what have to tested?

pintobobster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
ROND
sorry so long to reply,

I have replaced the steering wheel,
the cruise buttons,
the cruise harness in wheel,
checked all fuses,
replaced sensors, speed, and speedo,
I have traced the wires non to cruise light,
have not checked servo, not really sure how to?? or other connection areas between buttons and servo??

Thanks

pintobobster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
still needing help??

works very intermittly turn on left blinker and it shuts off my cruise control and it will not reingage??

i like using for my long trips.
and i miss being able to use my cruise.

and it so happens mine 1995 ford ranger is one of the ranger where they did not run a wire for the cruise engaged light.....????

any others have information to help me?

Robert

ratdude747

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
215/70R15
works very intermittly turn on left blinker and it shuts off my cruise control and it will not reingage??

i like using for my long trips.
and i miss being able to use my cruise.

and it so happens mine 1995 ford ranger is one of the ranger where they did not run a wire for the cruise engaged light.....????

any others have information to help me?

Robert
At least on my 1995 the wire is missing both at the cluster harness and also at the servo harness. It's also not mentioned in the 1996 owner's manual so for whatever reason the capability was deemed "for future expansion". In 1997 it was added as per the wiring diagrams I found (which happened to be for 1997, it was a lucky find that I submitted as a tech article addition).

It's stupid IMHO since everything is there to make it work; however, on the servo side the plug has the position molded off so short of splicing in a new connector, it isn't happening. On the cluster end, the wire could be added if one had the correct crimp contact. The connector between the two (in the firewall by the parking brake pedal) is probably molded off on one side as well, probably to protect against moisture intrusion.

Sorry for the necro-bump, but I stumbled on the thread and happened to have a answer.

pintobobster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Finaly

Got my cruise issue repaired,
found out that speed control cutoff switch was issue (the recall fire issue)

here is what I found

part number# Motorcraft SW6350
which says fits and works for the 1995 ford ranger 4.0 engine is "INCORRECT"
(after replacing this part three times)

part number# Motorcraft SW-6349 which says fits and works for the 1995 ford ranger is "CORRECT"
(after replacing this with CORRECT part one time)

SHOTGUN $ wasted to find this out

Cruise is working perfectly AGAIN after 2 years .......

hopes this helps someone else here searching for speed control (cruise control) issues

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals