• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ford Explorer vs Jeep Cherokee

scooter

October OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah, the Explorer really started going downhill when they switched to IFS in '91...
Ummmmm isnt 91 the first year for sploders....?????......

I know that 94 was the last year of the 2nd gen.

littlezell

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a 96 exploder.....it doesnt have locking on un locking hubs.... my dad has 98 jeep and i drive both alot and I really dont know which one I like better.. my explorer is a 5 speed 4x4 and has supprised me on where I have been able to go offroad. the jeep well its done just as good.. I think I would go for the power of the 4.0 in the jeep with the body of the explorer... I just like a ford.... but the interior is soo much better in the jeep. but either way it goes both are very goo vehicles in stock form....and you can make both of them very capible rigs with time and money...

Rose2300

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Ummmmm isnt 91 the first year for sploders....?????......

I know that 94 was the last year of the 2nd gen.
Yes. Some places you look at say 1990 because several were actually sold in 1990 - but they are 91's. My uncle ordered one and it took a couple months to get it.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
i took the solid remark in reference to the rear axle only. because they were always ifs....

the irs explorers stock get stuck in wet grass. but are superior to any other explorer on the pavement. but eat at your wallet with wheel bearing replacements.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
what??? all explorers are IFS; 91-94 is TTB and after that is true IFS.
Agreed but TTB is IFS. There is nothing to tie one wheel to the other wheel, they move completely independantly to each other. I found his comment rather humerous and made an attempt at sarcasm (which I know is dangerous on the internet)

i took the solid remark in reference to the rear axle only. because they were always ifs....
I thought that too, but then he started comparing his Explorer to his independant Toyota pickup for durability (which AFAIK always had a solid rear) it kind of threw a wrench into it.

the irs explorers stock get stuck in wet grass. but are superior to any other explorer on the pavement. but eat at your wallet with wheel bearing replacements.
Stock a TTB Explorer is nothing to brag about offroad either... similar sized street tread tires with next to no suspension flex and negligable ground clearance.

Wheel bearings are a major PITA to install (the engineer had to either have been on something really good or should have been on something really good) and rather pricy, but for a family vehicle (the only reason I would buy an Explorer with the intention of keeping it as a vehicle) there is no way I would go to a TTB Ex after being around the independant one, but then they have had a lot of problems with the '02 so I can't say I am going to stand in a line all that long for one of them either...

Last edited:

littlezell

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a 96 exploder and I havent been stuck yet... it has supprised me. I am running 31 10.50s alterriens and I have been very lucky at where I have been... the only thing that I dont like about it, everything is electronic. along with there isnt really hubs on it to where you can make it either auto or manual locking hubs... just has a cv axle poking thru...

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 96 exploder and I havent been stuck yet... it has supprised me. I am running 31 10.50s alterriens and I have been very lucky at where I have been... the only thing that I dont like about it, everything is electronic. along with there isnt really hubs on it to where you can make it either auto or manual locking hubs... just has a cv axle poking thru...
1 reason you should have bought a first gen :D

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals