• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Anybody use one of these or one of the versions?

Haywire6000

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo Four Plug Head
Transmission
Manual

kevinbmx77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
They work great, heres a similar light

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
You have 400 100 watt halogen lights??
That's 40,000 watts!
(I'm guessing there must be a typo there)

What kind of halogen lights do you have?
I would upgrade to better halogen lights before going to even the "best" of LED bars that are currently on the market... (or maybe upgrade the wiring, if that is what's needed)
Halogen lights are more effective for putting light farther down the road because they produce less blue-light glare, along with not blasting your entire immediate foreground with light (a single 100-watt Hella 4000 for example is generally good for thrice the distance vision of most any cheap chinese LED bar and close to twice that of better bars, nevermind a pair of Hellas).
I've heard complaints that LED bars right above the windshield create a lot of wind noise and vibration too.

Halogen lights indeed can be power-hungry though (cheap ones in particular that don't have good optics that don't return much light for that power). However good ones do work, and work very well indeed. Maybe HID lights could be a better answer for power efficiency, though if you have a CB or ham 2-way radio in your vehicle, HID would then also be out due to the radio interference they create (many LEDs are pretty bad about radio interference too).

Haywire6000

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo Four Plug Head
Transmission
Manual
The lights I gave are cheapy harbor freight lenses with 100 watt bulbs in them. Im on the fence about actually buying a good set of halogen light or the LED light bar....

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
One thing you can do with the "Regular" lights over a bar like that is turn them around to face backward pretty easily if they're mounted on top...

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You can get different patterns if you go with lights that are round like a halogen light over a bar.

Trapezoid and flood are available, upgrading is all the rage on farm equipment where the only time you have too many lights is when you keep melting down light switches or the alternator can't keep up.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
The lights I gave are cheapy harbor freight lenses with 100 watt bulbs in them. Im on the fence about actually buying a good set of halogen light or the LED light bar....
I don't think you can really go wrong any of Hella's halogen offerings, though I'd probably avoid those having a plastic mounting bracket, such as their 1000FF lights.

A good mark of quality to look for in a halogen light is the use of a H1 bulb. H1 bulbs have an inline or axial filament as opposed to a H3 bulb that has a transverse filament. H1s tend to create a better-defined light beam or pattern that will put more light where it needs to be for best visibility. Many of Hella's lights use H1 bulbs, though they also do have a number of quality H3 offerings also.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I don't think you can really go wrong any of Hella's halogen offerings, though I'd probably avoid those having a plastic mounting bracket, such as their 1000FF lights.
I picked up a set of those and I think it was a set of the similar ones with a more of a diffuser lens when wally world sold them, caught them on clearance for $30 a set like around 2008.

My F-150 has the clear lenses (I think the FF's) and the Ranger has the others, both sets still work great. I have them set about on top the highbeams but in the road ditches and there is enough to spill between them at that range to fill in the road between them perfectly.

I use them more for gravel road traveling than offroading, nice for picking out deer on low-no traffic roads.

killj0y

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4 Banger
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Fix it till its broke!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CURVED-400W-42-Combo-Spot-Flood-LED-Light-Bar-Driving-Fog-Offroad-Wiring-Kit-40-/141876889789?hash=item21088588bd:g:q~IAAOSwlaxWNtcF&vxp=mtr

Thinking about replacing my 400 100 watt Halogens with this. Also from what I gather this seems to to be the right size for the Rangers. Next thing I have to figure out is where to mount it where I have a visor...
I had the harbor freight lights you mentioned and now have those lights bars I'm happy with them but they don't reach as far. But overall I'm happier since I wasn't looking for long distance as much as lighting up a large area ahead. Don't get me wrong they light up a good distance but I think I've just gone too far with leds lol. I have done a full led conversion really. Except for the headlights. Even in my bed under doors, etc. I plan on adding some under the hood for nighttime work and in the toolbox as well. Maybe this weekend if it doesn't rain.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

81Pilot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
MAZDA
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Wherever you go...There you are
I just added a light bar. Love it. But i put it on the front of my safari rack on the shell. Looks and works awesome!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

81Pilot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
MAZDA
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Wherever you go...There you are
I just added a light bar. Love it. But i put it on the front of my safari rack on the shell. Looks and works awesome!

uploadfromtaptalk1454342191580.jpg

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals