• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Stumped

Rock

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
1989 bronco II 2.9 2wd 5 speed Ran great! Sat for 3 mos; Starts, then dies immediately; Runs with starter fluid squirted in breather. Fuel on the rail ... 1. new fuel (in tank) pump and filter. 2. new rotor button 3. tried three reman computers from NAPA, wouldn't start. Started and ran with continuos patting of gas pedal, on computer from salvage yard, coded for 89 bronco, automatic. 4. New trottle position sensor. I'm told there is a second fuel pump on the rail. I don't see it. In fact I only see one gismo on the rail between the filter and the engine and the gas line does not appear to connect to it ... HELP!!!

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Ok, since it runs with fluid that narrows your problem down to fuel delivery. New pump and filter remove the two most common culprits. Check your Fuel pressure regulator

A new computer will make it run terribly until you get it started and running for about 10 minutes. When I replaced my computer I had to hold it wide open just to get it to run long enough for the computer to adjust.

Since you have an 89, you should only have the 1 pump, so you aren't missing anything there.

country0001

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Check ur ground wires. My 90 B2 would start and run until you sat in it. It would then die. It was the ground between the engine and frame. Baffled me for 2 months.

Rock

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I was told that if the regulator was bad, it would drip gas when you pulled the vac hose off the back. It didn't! Can the regulator be defective, even with gas squirting from the rail valve??? Thanks Guys for the insights.

BronKitis

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
What about that fuel safety switch thingy (Dang name escapes me at the moment) I've never had to deal with one myself or am exactly sure how they work, but worth a shot to throw it out there I guess.... lol

country0001

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
What about that fuel safety switch thingy (Dang name escapes me at the moment) I've never had to deal with one myself or am exactly sure how they work, but worth a shot to throw it out there I guess.... lol

Inertia switch.

jhammel85

I was told that if the regulator was bad, it would drip gas when you pulled the vac hose off the back. It didn't! Can the regulator be defective, even with gas squirting from the rail valve??? Thanks Guys for the insights.
It can be. At least mine was. Check fuel pressure since that seems to be your problem.

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
What about the gas in the tank?

An engine doesn't like to run winter blend gas in the summer.

Simple things first. Start at the tank, and work your way forward to the engine. How old is the filter?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
If the diaphragm has become brittle without actually rupturing it could be sending emulating a low throttle position as causing low pressure.

swamprat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I would change the regulator on the fuel rail

Rock

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks guys! I'm buying the regulator idea also. Gotta order it, nobody had it in stock. 90.00 bucks! I hope thats finally it, cause I sure miss driving my truck.

jhammel85

oof thats expensive! Did you get the motorcraft one? Can't go wrong with that!

xr75er

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986/1998/1994/
Make / Model
ford/dodge/ford
Engine Size
2.9 stock
Transmission
Automatic
can you jump and run the fuel pump thur the VIP wire at the code reader connector? If the pump runs by Key on, engine not runnig, by grounding the fuel pump VIP point to the neg battery post, then it could be the computer. it enrgizes the fuel pump relay for 2 to 3 seconds at startup. Mine was the connector to the Inertia switch. I took it off the fire wall during the trouble shooting phase and shook the switch to see if the mag ball might not be seating properly and was moving with the bouncing of the truck during a ride and noticed that the fuel pump would shut off. Took the switch off the wire connector and jumped it and shook the wires and it did the same thing. Cut the connecter out and replaced it. the circuit checks out fine. Also found another loose wire in the fuel pump relay. Fixed that and silicone the connecter at the wires.

Last edited:

broncodw

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986 bronco ii
Make / Model
1996 explorer
Transmission
Automatic
Check the maf sensor to make sure it is plugged properly and good part. I have been running a bronco II for 14 years and have seen almost everything. The engine will start good and run about 15 seconds wuit MAF unplugged. Has caused me trouble before especially after taking the hose off and not putting it back on before starting after maintenance.

Rock

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Replaced the Fuel Pressure Reg ... Didn't fix it ... Man, I know it is something simple, but what? Runs off of ether sprayed in, so it's got ot be a fuel issue, I think!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals