• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Non running 94 Ranger

Lone Wolf

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I bought a 94 from a coworker. It had quit running and some idiot told him the engine was locked up. It sat for around 3 years. I bought it for $600. The only problems found were the starter solenoids were both bad. The fuel pump had also gone out from sitting. Besides that I changed the plugs and wires, fuel filter, fuel filler hose, and poured some seafoam in the tank. It fired up and ran like a champ. I drove it around the neighborhood a few times test driving it. It needs tires before its really roadworthy.

It started sputtering like it wasn't getting any gas. I went to back it into place and stalled it out(I haven't drove a stick shift in a few years). It wouldn't start back up. I was thinking it was a fuel problem. I tried starting fluid and it wouldn't start. I started checking wiring harnesses and plug wires to make sure everything was connected. Then it started. I let it run for a few minutes, shut it off, and it started back up. I turned it off again and it wouldn't start.

I pulled a wire to see if I was getting a spark. I asked my wife to start it. It fired right up for her. shut it off and replaced the spark plug. It fired up again. I was standing beside it and it died. No sputtering or anything. It just shut off.

where should I start with this? Any Ranger specific problems that I should look into first? Will the MAF cause it not to run at all? My experience with MAFs has just been rough running. Cars would still start.

chvlfrk

December 2010 STOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 5.0L
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Tire Size
235/70R15 front / 275/60R15 rear
Too many variables>>>>

There's a switch on the clutch pedal, that if its not down/engaged, it won't let power to the starter.

Fuel pressure regulator loosin pressure.

There's an inertia switch either behind dash or in pass. side kick panel, that can go bad or be tripped by a power surge.....its resetable.

Do you hear the fuel pump kick on when you turn the key on?

Just a few off the top of my head.......

Last edited:

Lone Wolf

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Starter is engaging. Engine is spinning. Can't be fuel pressure. The starting fluid would have worked. It had pressure at the rails. I don't have a gauge to put on it, but the fuel will spray if I press the schrader valve.

chvlfrk

December 2010 STOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 5.0L
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Tire Size
235/70R15 front / 275/60R15 rear
Starter is engaging. Engine is spinning. Can't be fuel pressure. The starting fluid would have worked. It had pressure at the rails. I don't have a gauge to put on it, but the fuel will spray if I press the schrader valve.
=======================
Sounds like coil pak goin out or not getting consistent power if its turnin over and fuel systems workin ok.

Lone Wolf

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I got it. I knew it wasn't fuel and it just didn't feel like the distributor. The EEC fuse had worked its way loose in the fusebox under the hood. I'll have to keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't do it again.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals