• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

knocking... ?!

08hybridok

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
knocking; maybe tapping... ?!

woke up this morning, running late, start up, and I hear a light knock. Turn off, back on and it's was still there, but lighter. Possibly sounds like a lifter knock.

Was fine when parked Fri afternoon.

Background : I've been smelling burnt oil (pretty much since I bought it a year ago) but never had to add any. Just checking earlier this week it was full and a nice Amber color. This past oil change was at Pep boys, (just being lazy.) but that was over a month ago. Temps have been freezing but last few days have been 40_60.

I did not have time to check anything today, just asking if there is anything obvious or common I should check when I get home?

Last edited:

08hybridok

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Ok, got home early. Oil is still full. Started up again, loud knock for a split second, then went away. Normal tapping sound for a min, then the slightly louder tapping came back. I think its more on the pass side, but i cant say for sure.

Here's a crappy cell phone video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQ9dLOND1OA&feature=youtu.be

Add Sea foam to the oil? Bad gas?

Just pulled the receipt, shows Pep Boys put in 5 qt 5w20; shouldn't it be 5w30? this was 12/11; maybe 500-700 miles ago... would it take this long?

Last edited:

08hybridok

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
So finally got time to search the board. Pulled each plug wire; no change.
It did come & go a few times in the 5 or so mins I tinkered with it.
Couldn't really determine a side, possible in the center of the engine?
I did add a little sea foam to the oil; and about the time I stuck my head under the truck to listen it stopped; and has not come back.

I drove around the block; seems normal & hasn't returned yet.... ?????

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
That sounds like a "tic" not a "knock" there is a difference :)

Valve train, most likely a lifter is sticking, yes some cleaner like seafoam in the oil is fine.

5w30 in summer 5w20 in winter is normal, I prefer 5w30 year round.

08hybridok

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Well guess my reply didn't take.

The next day drove it; and it ticked (the quieter not the louder) for about 2-3miles, then pretty much disappeared.
If it was mechanical (something physical) would it go away?
Should I just run a cleaner/flush & change to 5w30 & a motorcraft (vs whatever cheap filter Peb Boys used)?

Would I gain anything by popping of the valve covers & looking? [I'm a level -1 mechanic, youtube is my source of repairs, but I did watch my dad do something to rockers in my 81 mustang (I6 of some sort) 20 years ago]

boozer89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
read the post I just put on about 3.0 oil flow Issue, your truck sounds just like mine did before the valve stuck all together, and bent the push rod.

08hybridok

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I thought I posted an update. I did an oil change, 5w30, and motorcraft filter and the sound went away!

sethsbseries

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0 vulcan
Transmission
Manual
most likely cause was when you went to pepboys they used a generic oil filter more than likely, the motorcraft oil filter, has an internal check valve to eliminate dry starts. No other oil filter ive seen has this, and I would recommend using only motorcraft oil filters from now on. Plus you never know what weight oil actually went into your engine at pepboys.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals