• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What a bitchin forum. What would you do?

greasemonkey6886

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
two pump is standard on all ranger and bronco2 with the 2.9. do ya a little readin and search i bet it is something simple could be the fuel shut off switch. do u know where it is at. but i am betting it is the fuel pump on the frame rail as it is the pressure pump. and the fuel pump running for a few seconds is it building up pressure. u ge get it running strong it gonna b bitchin
two pumps are standard up to and including 1988. In 1989 they went to a one pump setup on the Bronco II in the tank. Rangers I'm not sure about. As stated, the one in the tank is a low pressure pump and the one on the frame rail just under the drivers feet is a high pressure pump. Check to make sure both are running, my 88 has a tendency to loose ground on the high pressure pump from time to time due to corroision I'm guessing. When I loose the high pressure pump it won't start at all.

jdflatten

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Got it guys.

Bad Gas.

Drove it home a half hour ago.

Maybe someone can figure this one.

This is an 86, and I can not for the life of me find the second, in line fuel filter. I found the one you unscrew and replaced it, found the high pressure pump, but I looked EVERYWHERE and can't find the "plug in" canister type filter. Thanks for all your help!!

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Bad gas will make it run pretty crappy.

The other filter is on the frame rail, forward of the HP pump, in the section of the frame that angles upwards.if you crawl under and lay so that your right side is touching the rear of the LF tire and look straight up and a bit forward, you should see it.

jdflatten

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks, I will go look again, but I swear on my Bronco II that it's not there.

Got her home, still running pretty crappy, must still have some bad gas. But...........every pass up and down my 1/4 mile long driveway, she gets just a little better. I swapped the old oil and filter out and topped her off with some dino 5 30 and a motorcraft filter. WORTHLESS Sturdevants was not open so I couldn't get a new set of plug wires , but swapped the plugs out with the only thing wallmart had, autolite platinum. Oh well.

She might blow up tomorrow, but she........I think I'll call her Myrtle, shifts crisply, 4X4 works, and the steering and suspension is tighter than a bulls ass during fly season. Hopefully I can resolve the spitting sputtering gas issue over time.

Off I go to find that filter, then maybe a beer.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
It's there, might be somewhat behind a piece of metal. It's held in place with a hose clamp, really close to the engine crossmember.

jdflatten

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Hey, I'm in SD as well, just on the other side of the big river.

I swear guys, I've looked over and over. Where the frame rail goes from horazontal to about a 22 degree upward pitch, about 2 feet forward of the HP fuel pump, there is a spot with a metal sheild but it isn't even 1/4 as big of a space as you would need for a fuel filter to fit behind. I can just barely fit my finger between the frame rail and the sheild and can feel nothing behind it. I know what the D""n thing looks like, I've got the new one on my desk right now, but I'm tellin ya, it's just not there.

Anyone ever seen this? There aren't any splices or anything where it looks like someone took it out and bypassed it. I'm stumped.

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
it may not be there... i was under the impression that the older trucks only had the canister. if its got the other inline filter, it should be on the drivers side frame rail, just rear of the engine cross member.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I swear you have one there. It should looks like this. My '87 has this, my '86 Ranger has it, my old '88 Ranger had the same thing. Every 86-88 first gen I've seen has the same filter.

Nice to see another person from SD, BTW!

Mike828

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 1987
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I swear you have one there. It should looks like this. My '87 has this, my '86 Ranger has it, my old '88 Ranger had the same thing. Every 86-88 first gen I've seen has the same filter.

Nice to see another person from SD, BTW!
I got one of those for an '87 I had just bought only to come home and find out it took a canister filter.

Look for a white plastic cylinder case for it about half way between tank and fuel pump on the frame rail.

jdflatten

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I've got the canister type for sure, it was the first thing I replaced when trying to get the beast running.

Yep, that picture is the same filter I have sitting here, there just isn't one on my BII.

Im off today to flush the radiator and sea foam myrtle.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals