• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

best cheap spark plugs for a 94 3.0

bizarro302

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
it's not rocket appliances
What are the best basic copper core cheapo plugs for the 3.0? I'm not a believer in platinum tips and most what I consider gimmick plugs. I could be wrong but it's a daily driver anyway. Not like I'm racing it.

Anhy opinons on whether the autolite, NGK, or Bosch work best with our 3.0s? I'm looking at sub $3 a piece plugs here. Not interested in discussing the benefits of V3s or anything like that.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Autolite single platinum or motorcraft stock plugs. The pennies your saving on plugs add up to 100s of dollars in fuel economy and wear on the motor. Replace the PCV when you change plugs. The PCV is the cheapest part and the most neglected. It is only a daily driver may as well take care of it. If you add up the amount of fuel you use in a year the cost of proper PM is a drop in the bucket.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
AP-104
http://www.autozone.com/routine-maintenance/spark-plug/autolite-platinum-spark-plug/ford/ranger-2wd/2003/6-cylinders-u-3-0l-mfi/509375_0_0/
These plugs will probably work well.
http://www.autozone.com/routine-maintenance/spark-plug/autolite-copper-spark-plug/ford/ranger-2wd/2003/6-cylinders-u-3-0l-mfi/37978_0_0/
If your going copper stick with the autolites and see how well they do. After a couple hundred miles pull a plug and the porcelan insulator should be a nice toasty brown. If the insulator is still white your running too hot and can cook the pistons and valves?

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic

bizarro302

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Autolite single platinum or motorcraft stock plugs. The pennies your saving on plugs add up to 100s of dollars in fuel economy and wear on the motor. Replace the PCV when you change plugs. The PCV is the cheapest part and the most neglected. It is only a daily driver may as well take care of it. If you add up the amount of fuel you use in a year the cost of proper PM is a drop in the bucket.

I already ordered the pcv it was 2 bucks. Do platinum tips really save on gas? I think they had some NGK platinums for $2.49 each. I'm just iffy about them because I had a quad run horrible after going platinum tip years ago. I've had good luck with autolites in the many 5.0 Ford's I've had in the past, but this is my first 3.0.

I paid $200 for this truck so I'm trying to keep it as cheap as possible while still maintaining it responsibly.

I'm changing every fluid in it, air filter, pcv, fuel filter, etc.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
I allways use autolite single platinum in my vehicles. The platinum on the tips reduce erosion to the tips over the life of the plugs. I do plugs and PCV once a year if it needs it or not right when it starts getting cold. NGK suck in my opinion. The motorcraft double platinum are the OEM plugs.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Actually I cannot remember if I ever had a autolite plug foul. Champion is another story they seem to foul out before most other plugs never wasted money on the V3s

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
I still really dont understand the effect on the burn but yes spark ignites the fuel. I just go by the color of the plugs. You dont want them to be white, my 83 plugs come out a little dark but the motor is over 300,000 and starts with a flick of the key.

bizarro302

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
I ended up ordering the autolite single platinums as they were only .40 cents more a piece. Seemed like a good compromise between quality and cost.

I have also had poor results from ngk. I had an 87 honda 250r quad that would barely run with one. Put the 10+ yr old champion back in and it ran mint. Double checked the gap. Was weird all my ATV buddies swore by NGK.

Going to install them tomorrow afternoon. Runs fine now but I just bought the truck who knows what's in it or howblong they've been there.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
I allways do the same thing with a new to me vehicle the spark plug wires and tune up is usually the first thing.

bizarro302

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
I allways do the same thing with a new to me vehicle the spark plug wires and tune up is usually the first thing.
Yeah no matter how well someone says they maintained it you just never know. Better safe than sorry as most of these kinda items are cheap and easy. Unless you're getting into timing belts. Those are always my biggest scare

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals