• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Explorer Center Console install

badbronc92

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC V6
Transmission
Automatic
I was wondering how difficult it would be to install the center floor console from an explorer with the computer (temp/mpg/miles to empty, etc.) into a 2003 ranger. I have the bucket seats. I'm mainly wondering about the wiring and general positioning and install of the whole console. Thanks.

engdept

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The trip computer that is in the Explorer's will not function in the Ranger because the Ranger doesn't have the proper programming in the PCM or the sensors for it.

If you can find one without the trip computer, it is a bolt in deal.

84convertablegt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I bought the console with the computer and ended up selling the computer on ebay and then buying the misc. holder thing that replaces the computer part from a junkyard. That is the only difference. Like engdept stated, it wont work with the ranger computer. It doesnt have the correct fuel data output.

Also, as far as the physical installation goes all I had to do was trim some metal out of the console in the front to get it to clear the Airbag module on the tranny hump under the dash. it was no big deal though. I also had to do something with the Passenger airbag switch. I just left it loose under the console. If I ever need to access it, I can just pop one panel off of the console to get access to it. I wired up the console cigarette light power point so it would work. I secured it up front to the dash and then in the middle with some metal tapping screws.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals