• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

85 Bronco2 coil question.

rixtoys52

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985 Bronco II
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hi I am kinda new here. I am working on converting my 85 2.8 over to a standard carb and Dura Spark system. I have printed out and am following the article from the tech forum. My question is can you still use the original 85 coil? Everything else seems pretty well spelled out. I have the distributor in and the carb on, and hoping I get the wiring right.
Here is a pic of it with my son a couple of years ago. We were working on it together, but he is now in the Air Force and so I am taking over the truck. It began to have problems and I couldn't get the wacky ford system to stay working. So I gave up on it until I found this site. Now the battle is back on to get it running well. Thanks for any help.
Rick

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Your kinna unclear on the reason you ask about the coil. Are you running the computer or doing the duraspark. There are two ways to test the coil first pull the coil wire off the distributor (center post) and stick a spark plug in th wire end and set it on a good ground (power steering mount) and crank the ignition. You should get a steady brite blue spark. If not with the key on take a jumper wire from the neg side of the coil and quick touch it to ground the plug should fire brite blue every time you touch ground that is the trigger. If still no spark either you have power issues 12 volts to pos side or the coil is bad. Thats how you isolate the coil and yes you can use the stock coil with either ignition system the module controls the trigger. Are you running the TFI (computer).

bonedoc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, durasparked, 350 holley, headers, 2 1/2 inch exhaust
Transmission
Automatic
If you are doing a duraspark conversion? Hopefully you are, well worth it and it eliminates alot of problems. You can use the stock coil with that without a problem.

trail B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to the sight good plan he'll be smiling when he goes home for leave and his car runs good.

rixtoys52

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985 Bronco II
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks you guys answered my question. I will be able to use the original coil and not have to replace it. I am converting to the dura spark 2 and removing the complete EEC-IV system and all the sensors and related wiring.
Also I have installed a standard 2150 carb to replace the electronic one.
Well let's see what happens today....

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals