• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

explorer overhead console wire problem

larsen101

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
im putting the ford explorer overhead in my 87 ranger. i was reading through the tech lab post on how to do the wireing and it said that to have the temp sensor to work that i need to connect a wire to the speed sensor or it wont work right. the problem i have is there is no speed sensor in my ranger. does anyone know if this would be a problem and if so what could i do?

Downey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i was told in my 94 to take that wire and run it do the pcm and connect it to the black and gray wire and it will work. I dont have it hooked up in my truck right now and it still works fine

Chris.S.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
hmm,

Why does the temp sensor need to be hooked up to the speed sensor I wonder?

triumphrider-1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F150
Engine Size
3.7L
Transmission
Automatic
My assumption would be to corret for wind chill related temperature change.

i.e 30F ambient, no wind feels like 30F; but 30F with 50mph winds feels A LOT colder than 30F.

larsen101

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
ok i will try that

oldjohnny

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
My assumption would be to corret for wind chill related temperature change.
That, and to disperse Engine heat while you let the truck stand still.

If you put the sensor where the wind won't hit, you should be fine. I put mine besides the radiator where the wind does not reach. The only problem is when the truck is idling at stop signs. The heat will get to it. The temperature will go up by a whopping 15 degrees from the engine heat at most, but that gets fixed once you start moving again. I usually find that my temperature is always off by 1-2 degrees (up or down) when I drive around. You should be fine. It's not like you're a meteorologist anyways so having a dead on temperature reading is not necessary anyways.

If you want a pic of the location of my sensor, I can upload one by request.

Ranger#1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
but the tech article said that it will not show temp changes if speed sensor wire is not connected and i am at thiss delema now too with my 90

oldjohnny

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
It will show change. Without the speed sensor, the console will think you will always be at a still. The only thing that the speed sensor does is tell the console that the truck is in motion so that it can calculate the wind chill or the engine heat. Console will work fine if you put the sensor out of the wind's reach. I didn't tap into the speed sensor and my console works just fine.

locovaca

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The temp sensor does nothing with Wind Chill. It's solely for keeping from the engine causing artificial temp spikes. When I put mine in I connected it to the wrong line (why the @#$! would Ford make both the VSS line and the Cruise Servo line Gray Black when they run on the same package is beyond me). The temperature would go down quickly, but never came up, even if the car had been sitting off for several hours. After connecting it to the right line the temperature would change very quickly up and down based on the air temp. It is very much worth getting it connected.

If you do not have a VSS line (which seems odd to me, based on this: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/speedometer.htm), then you could try tapping in to your tach sensor. It doesn't care what speed you're going at, it just needs to see *some* sort of indication that the wheels are turning. But I can guarantee you that you will not get the full effect with the line disconnected.

larsen101

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
so not to sure here now. will it work without hooking up to the speed sensor?

locovaca

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It "works" in that you get a fully functional compass and a halfway working thermometer. However, your temperature gauge will be wonky and won't ever go up in temp, only down.

oldjohnny

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
The temperature will go up. I didn't hook up my speed sensor and the temperature goes up just fine. I don't see why people say it won't go up. Mine has worked fine without the speed sensor.

EDIT
So, I decided to record a crappy video and show you what happens with no VSS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFcYKmyVcew

This is what actually happens when you don't hook up the speed sensor. After letting the engine warm up for 2 minutes, you can see that the temperature will start going up.
This tends to happen during stop signs every now and then. But if it goes up, it will go down to normal temperatures after your vehicle starts moving again. It's no biggie to me since the only reason I got the console was because I wanted extra lighting. I noticed that while driving, the vehicle maintains an acceptable temperature reading. Hopes this helps.

Last edited:

GSUhooligan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
It may be where I mounted it, but I just installed one of these last night and when you first start off, it will move a couple of degrees, but for my entire 1 hour commute mine read 65 degrees (It was high 40's low 50's this morning). I mounted mine basically directly under the driver's seat (outside, I'm not THAT stupid) on a clip that is run with the fuel line. The clip was a perfect fit, It's a "C" bar so is seems pretty protected, and I didn't cut enough wire when I pulled the sensor from the JY, so I wanted to mount it close. I didn't wire up the speed sensor either, so I wonder what my problem is; speed sensor or mounting location.

oldjohnny

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Mhh. I would suggest you put it somewhere near the radiator. I will try to get a pic of where mine is. I put mine somewhere besides the drivers headlight. In this place, the wind does not hit it and engine heat gets dispersed easily. Just add more wire and run it through the firewall.

larsen101

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
ok i think i got it now. i will try just not connecting it and see what that does

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals