• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1986 Bronco II NOS Tachometer

The Slider

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I just got my NOS replacement Tachometer, when I got it the needle was pointing at 6 o'clock. I installed the tachometer and started the truck and had to physically adjust the needle to ZERO when off. works GREAT! when when I turn off the Bronco the needle slowly floats down to ZERO... My old Tachometer just DROPPED to Zero like a rock when I turned off the Bronco.. Is that a sign of a bad Tachometer?

Thanks!
Chaz

Last edited:

Spott

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
That doesn't sound right to me. Every needle-gauge in a vehicle (or most anywhere else for that matter), is a milliammeter at the heart.

And they must move very freely and quickly in order to work with any accuracy.

So either you have a gummy meter (which isn't a good thing, obviously) or you've got something strange happening in your tach circuit, that sounds like it wasn't there before.

With some electronics info and a small set of parts you can measure and test your meter, but it's too involved a process for me to type out on my phone. If you have the desire and parts, you can probably find basic instructions with a Google search.

Let us know if you're interested in chasing this issue down.

The Slider

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
This tachometer I got is a new NOS stock ford tachometer for the Bronco ii. I am going to call the place I got it from and have them send me another one and I will send this one back. I'm sure it was just a bad one. When I turn off the key the needle should drop like a rock to zero. Not float slowly down.

UPDATE! In case anyone cares... They are sending me another one to replace this one. they had another in stock.....

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You don't mention it so it probably is a non issue but if you have overlays on the gauges and they are not centered correctly they can drag on the shaft.

The Slider

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
You don't mention it so it probably is a non issue but if you have overlays on the gauges and they are not centered correctly they can drag on the shaft.
No overlays.. I like to keep is as original as possible.. :)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals