• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Semi Adjustable Gas Pedal (with enough heat)

oldmantruck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
On the older rangers(mines a 94) The gas pedal is way to close to the floor, the floor mat gets stuck underneath and you end up losing half of your throttle travel. Also it is too far behind the brake pedal so you have to lift your foot too far to go from gas to brake.

I finally had enough after trying to pass a tractor yesterday and one more time with the oldman truck giving old man acceleration. I had already done the zip tie trick to take up the slack, so more drastic measures were needed. out came the mapp gas and the gas pedal. I measured first. My wife has an 07 mustang which seems just about perfect for the gas to brake pedal jump, so I figured out that I needed an inch and a half to achieve the same setting, heated to dull red and presto, the gas pedal is where it should have been 15 years ago at the factory. much better.

If anyone else trys this I would caution to just get it hot enough and be careful not to melt the pedal against the pedal rod. Plus I'm not sure what too much heat would do to the temper, but mine still seems stiff enough and hasn't rebent.

Oh yeah, don't go further than the spring on the cable will allow for full travel, if that binds up i imagine you could break a throttle cable when the pedal is on the floor. I Still have about 1/4 inch when it is hard against the fire wall before the spring compresses. basically like with all mods, use common sense with your basic hand tools for best results

Last edited:

Kalwren

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Good information, thanks for sharing.

I recently purchased a Ranger as well and I find the gas pedal to be to close to the center of the truck, with the transmission hump in the way. I don't feel like I can put my foot on the pedal, it's more like I have to stick my foot out to the right to step on it. It's really not comfortable.

Maybe this is another mod I should try. Thanks for the suggestion!

On the older rangers(mines a 94) The gas pedal is way to close to the floor, the floor mat gets stuck underneath and you end up losing half of your throttle travel. Also it is too far behind the brake pedal so you have to lift your foot too far to go from gas to brake.

I finally had enough after trying to pass a tractor yesterday and one more time with the oldman truck giving old man acceleration. I had already done the zip tie trick to take up the slack, so more drastic measures were needed. out came the mapp gas and the gas pedal. I measured first. My wife has an 07 mustang which seems just about perfect for the gas to brake pedal jump, so I figured out that I needed an inch and a half to achieve the same setting, heated to dull red and presto, the gas pedal is where it should have been 15 years ago at the factory. much better.

If anyone else trys this I would caution to just get it hot enough and be careful not to melt the pedal against the pedal rod. Plus I'm not sure what too much heat would do to the temper, but mine still seems stiff enough and hasn't rebent.

Oh yeah, don't go further than the spring on the cable will allow for full travel, if that binds up i imagine you could break a throttle cable when the pedal is on the floor. I Still have about 1/4 inch when it is hard against the fire wall before the spring compresses. basically like with all mods, use common sense with your basic hand tools for best results

oldmantruck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
no reason it shouldn't bend side ways

oldmantruck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
finals week, i'll try to get something up next week

cocoasranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Pictures would be great. This might be a good candidate for a short tech section article. I'd be interested in knowing how much farther the throttle body opens after the modification.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals