• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

5th gen chip thread

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Unless you go nuts with aftermarket stuff I can't see spending the money for a tuner to make you a custom tune. Superchips flashpaq can be bought for your specific vehicle with tunes already on it.

01_ranger_4x4

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Unless you go nuts with aftermarket stuff I can't see spending the money for a tuner to make you a custom tune. Superchips flashpaq can be bought for your specific vehicle with tunes already on it.
I didn't pay any extra for the custom tunes on my X-Cal from rogue performance. Custom tunes trump canned tunes any day of the week.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

01_ranger_4x4

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
When you say custom tune, is it something that is just whatever it's set to, or can you select several different tunes as you go?

Something I've never quite understood, why doesn't someone create a tune that is intelligent (kinda) one that changes its focus from economy to power, based on a combination of speed, acceleration and throttle position?

Ie, of you are driving around using 1/8th or 1/4 throttle, it adjusts to be as fuel efficient as possible, but I'd you stomp it, you get as much power as possible... I say acceleration and speed also though, because say you're on the highway, 120km/h (70mph) and at half throttle or whatever just cruising, it should adjust so that you get the best fuel economy to maintain that speed...

Sent from somewhere naughty!
Custom tunes refers to the tune files that are sent with the tuners. Most programmers now come with canned "one size fits all" tune files but some, like the X-Cal can be ordered with tunes that are written specifically for your truck and your driving style.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
When I think of custom tunes I think of a guy sitting at a computer righting a REAL custom tune for your exact vehicle and mods. If you have a CAI, he takes that into account. Etc.

If its just a generic tune for your specific vehicle type (ie 2006 4.0 ranger) tabs it comes loaded on the tuner, I'd simply call that a preloaded tune.

Dirmaid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
When I think of custom tunes I think of a guy sitting at a computer righting a REAL custom tune for your exact vehicle and mods
That's what they do at Xcal I do believe. Just because they don't have the truck in front of them doesn't mean they can't write custom tunes. It's like fixing a computer when you remote in. It's not infront of you, but that doesn't mean you can't work on it (not a perfect analogy I know). I know Bama tuning custom tunes through emails, and so do several other companies.

I cut out the middle man and went with Sniper tuning. Its not for beginners for sure but at least you know exactly what is getting changed when you're working in it. The only thing I dislike about my tuner is there is no graphical display. There are little status leds that tell you what it is doing. If I had the cash I would have sprung for the higher-dollar one, but I have no need to transfer MAF or anything that in depth. And throwing this out there, I can't see a 4.0l ranger making 30+ mpg unless either a) ridiculous modifications were made, or b) someone lied to you and its not a 4.0l :icon_thumby:

my .02 were deposited. Should I throw in some quarters so you can make them into cool little souvenirs?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals