• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Instrument cluster

redxlt

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I need an instrument cluster for an 86 xlt. I found one or so I thought ,paid for it ,and I took the old cluster out. Cluster arrived today and its the wrong one. It has a Tach on the left side with gas and temp gauges inset at bottom of tach. idiot light for oil no volt gauge. Speedometer is on right side Tach on left. So, I am in ned of an instrument cluster again or instructions on how to install this thing.

jhammel85

I need an instrument cluster for an 86 xlt. I found one or so I thought ,paid for it ,and I took the old cluster out. Cluster arrived today and its the wrong one. It has a Tach on the left side with gas and temp gauges inset at bottom of tach. idiot light for oil no volt gauge. Speedometer is on right side Tach on left. So, I am in ned of an instrument cluster again or instructions on how to install this thing.
Whats wrong with this one? Were you looking for a different cluster w/o tach?

If its for a 1st gen I would imagine that it would work. Did you get one for a 83-85? I'm thinking that might be different because of the center info in the center of the cluster. If you notice in pics of those and the later 1st gens, you'll notice that the 83-86's have seperate windows when the later years were all one big window.

To install, you pull off the trim along your dash thats just below the glove box hole and remove the headlight knob and trim, ashtray and trim on the right of the ashtray.

After this, you remove all of the screws that you've uncovered plus the ones just below the lip of the dash. The dash panel comes right out after this and exposes the instrument cluster. Should just remove by removing screws and unplugging.

Also, I would try posting under the WTB thread to get another cluster. Sell the wrong one back on the for sale forum. I've sold and bought a ton here..Its great!:icon_thumby:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals