• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Where/What do these wires go to???

KYRangerDude

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
92 Ranger 4x4 standard cab

Have these wires under the dash that I have no idea of what they go to or fit.
Previous owner had been in dash screwing around, had radio all messed up, finally got it back working...but these wires I have no idea. I've looked for the other end to no avail. Left wire is dark blue with an orange stripe 14g, middle wire is solid black 16g, and right wire is light blue with a red stripe 18.

Any help would be appreciated.:icon_thumby:

rtg143

U.S. Military - Veteran
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.4l
Transmission
Automatic
Probably to the ashtray. The dark blue/orange is power to the cigar lighter, black is ground and the light blue/red is dash lights.

KYRangerDude

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
That makes sense....where they come out of the harness, they would "fit" in the cig lighter area. I would like to wire them back up, see if I can get my phone charger to work in the lighter. Is the hot to the cig lighter hot all the time? or only when the lighter is pushed in? Where does the ground go? On the lighter there's a "tit" where you slide a fitting onto, and then the stud with a screw in the center of the lighter's end. The dash light wire, would that be a light for the lighter? How does one test for power? I have a test meter but don't know how to use it.

rtg143

U.S. Military - Veteran
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.4l
Transmission
Automatic
The power is hot all the time if fuse #12 isn't blown. The ground wire runs to the drivers kick panel area. If you connect one lead of the meter to the black wire and the other to the dark blue/orange, you should show battery voltage. If you move the lead from the dark blue/orange and connect it to the lght blue/red, you'll show valtage when the headlights are on as long as the dash lights are lit. The dar blue/orange connects to the stud on the lighter and the black to the side.

KYRangerDude

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks...I'll test and connect as you said. Although, I didn't see a bulb for the light wire in the ashtray area. I suspect the previous owner either had another radio hooked up or was looking for a hot for another radio or something else. I also want to say KUDO's for the tech library and the radio wiring diagrams. There were 2 pins in the plug that provide power to the radio, that didn't have colored insulation and I would have hooked them up wrong if not for the diagram.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals