• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2003 2.3 in a 1997??

jcgemt2003

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I was wondering how similar are the 2.3 from 1997 and the 2.3 from 2003? My motor is looking like its not gonna last very long and I was thinking of swaping a 4 banger from a new model. I realise that Ill need the ECU and wiring harness but I guess my main question is has anyone done it AND will it be a direct swap. Also will my manual transmisson that is in the truck now bolt up to the newer 2.3? Thanks guys for any help you can give me. :icon_hornsup:

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
they are completely different, you would have to swap out your tranny too. the very newest engine you cang et would be from a VERY early 2001 model year ranger that has the 2.5L which is physically the same as a 2.3 that has been stroked.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals