• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

panel bulbs

oceanblues

Reaction score
i need to replace two of my instrument panel bulbs and wanted to see what everyone thought the easy way to get at them was.

skippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l durasparked rice killer
Transmission
Manual
i need to replace two of my instrument panel bulbs and wanted to see what everyone thought the easy way to get at them was.
what year is the vehicle?i took the panel out of my 1983,wasn't too bad about an hour.after 25 years the bulbs just need to be cleaned of a little powder type corrosion and work fine.but to anwser your question we'll need to know more info.

oceanblues

Reaction score
ahhh yes 2000 supercab, xlt. sorry im used to it coming up when i post and completly forgot to mention it

skippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ahhh yes 2000 supercab, xlt. sorry im used to it coming up when i post and completly forgot to mention it
sorry,i can't help you with the newer trucks.but be patient someone will be along shortly,these guys are petty good.they'll get you through it.

oceanblues

Reaction score
oh im not worried at all. i always read this forum and always read the old one as well. i just seldom post.

Nehring13

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
im not sure on if urs looks anything like mine, but i ahve a 98 ranger, and there are 3 screws in the top of the instrument panel cover, those unscrew, the clear cover comes off and the rest is just removal of the gauge plate itself. then yor bulbs should be right there.

skippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
im not sure on if urs looks anything like mine, but i ahve a 98 ranger, and there are 3 screws in the top of the instrument panel cover, those unscrew, the clear cover comes off and the rest is just removal of the gauge plate itself. then yor bulbs should be right there.
i had to take some trim off to remove the lower screws,and i had to disconnect the speedo cable,then the srcews holding the entire instrument cluster.pulled cluster out far enough to disconnect the wire harness,then pulled the whole cluster out,turned it over and there was black twist in bulb holders.1/4 turn counterclockwise to remove the holder and bulb.but again,my ranger is 1983 and may be different from yours.

oceanblues

Reaction score
that does sound what mine looks like, i wasnt sure if it would come off that easily. it just looked too simple and that would be too convient. thanks

camping_mailman01

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
We have two 98 Rangers, one 4X4 and a 4X2. I recently replaced all illumination bulbs in both dashes as 3 of the six or seven were burnt. Both vehicles are well broke in (4X4 with 206,000 Plus and 4X2 with 137,000 plus). My removal wasn't quite as easy as indicated by Nehring13 stated about his.

I had to remove all of the screws across the bottom of the dash and remove this bottom panel. This exposes the bottom screws for the dash cover panel. Remove these bottom screws,3 or 4, then the top three then remove the dash cover. This exposes the dash cluster. Remove the four screws holding it in, then very carefully remove the cluster. You will be able to pull it out 2 or 3 inches as you are bringing all of the wiring with it. You will need to roll it over so that you can see the back side. You should then see bulbs then. Twist out the bad ones and replace them. Then reverse the process. I unhooked the harness plugs on mine and took 2 hours to complete. I didn't unhook them on DW's and took 45 minutes. First I also did by hand and second I did with my Craftsman electric drill. Set the torque setting low for reassembly to prevent striping of the plastic.

Note:no2:: Forgot to mention, the stereo/heater control cover must be removed also as the upper panel is locked in place by it. Two screws above heater controls, pull FWD knob then gently pry off the cover. Also, most likely your hood release control is below the steering wheel and it is held on by two 5/32 hex head screws. I actually took the replacement bulbs out of a wrecked 2000 Explorer. Same dash, same procedure to get to that portion.

Hope this helps.
Don

Last edited:

oceanblues

Reaction score
We have two 98 Rangers, one 4X4 and a 4X2. I recently replaced all illumination bulbs in both dashes as 3 of the six or seven were burnt. Both vehicles are well broke in (4X4 with 206,000 Plus and 4X2 with 137,000 plus). My removal wasn't quite as easy as indicated by Nehring13 stated about his.

I had to remove all of the screws across the bottom of the dash and remove this bottom panel. This exposes the bottom screws for the dash cover panel. Remove these bottom screws,3 or 4, then the top three then remove the dash cover. This exposes the dash cluster. Remove the four screws holding it in, then very carefully remove the cluster. You will be able to pull it out 2 or 3 inches as you are bringing all of the wiring with it. You will need to roll it over so that you can see the back side. You should then see bulbs then. Twist out the bad ones and replace them. Then reverse the process. I unhooked the harness plugs on mine and took 2 hours to complete. I didn't unhook them on DW's and took 45 minutes. First I also did by hand and second I did with my Craftsman electric drill. Set the torque setting low for reassembly to prevent striping of the plastic.

Note:no2:: Forgot to mention, the stereo/heater control cover must be removed also as the upper panel is locked in place by it. Two screws above heater controls, pull FWD knob then gently pry off the cover. Also, most likely your hood release control is below the steering wheel and it is held on by two 5/32 hex head screws. I actually took the replacement bulbs out of a wrecked 2000 Explorer. Same dash, same procedure to get to that portion.

Hope this helps.
Don

ok THIS seems more like it. when i was looking at it this is more what i was expecting to do. thank you very much.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals