• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2003 Wiring Problem

Mikey6981

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Explorer
Range
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My friend put in an after market radio in his '03 Ranger. After doing so he blew a fuse for dash and tail lights. Has anyone had this problem before. Need help ASAP. Thanks. :icon_confused:

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp~TID~15734

^ that link has the stereo wire colors / designators for you.
Something is connected improperly, like he used the Illumination wire (light blue with a red stripe) to power the actual stereo? That amount of current draw could blow the lights fuse.

sniper141

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L OHV V6
Transmission
Automatic
I had the same thing happen to me on the way back to NY from MN, my dash lights, fog lights and tail lights went out but I didn't notice it till the evening when I needed to turn the lights on. The culprit was the illumination wire that I had hooked up to the switched ignition wire. Now, the question is, where does the illumination wire go?! Also, where does the phone mute wire from the aftermarket deck go? Also, the factory harness has 15 pins out of the 16 pin slots wired, but the aftermarket ez harness only has 14 pins out of the 16 slots wired. The 15th on the factory harness from what I can tell is a second switched ignition wire. Whats tha deal?! Any help would be much appreciated!

Mikey6981

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Explorer
Range
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
ok sorry guys i thought i updated this. what ended up happening is the universal wireing harness had two illumination wires hooked to gether. on the truck end one of them went to ground, so i split them and capped them off as they were not being used by the radio. and that fixed the problem.

p.s. thank you for the replies...

Last edited:

Mikey6981

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Explorer
Range
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
@sniper141 sometime wires dont goto anything based upon the truck options or the stereo you are putting in it or even the wireing harness that you got for it. the best thing to do is if you are not going to use it cap it off, so it doesnt ground out later and cause more problems. hope that helps and stay safe out there in that sand box.

sniper141

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L OHV V6
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks Mike, it's all good now, I just have to manually shut the radio off instead of it shutting it off when I turn the truck off. I am back now on homeland, just forgot to change my current location, but I am back and don't plan on going back to that shit hole!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals