• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Issues with 2.9l

Homelessduck

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
It's an '85 B2, 2.9l, 5spd. At first it would lack power when cold, but once you drive it and get it into higher rpm's it would clear out and all of a sudden have power. It would then be fine for the rest of the day. Now it looses power randomly, and dies some times. I died on me in town and I thought it was out of fuel.. I parked it and it sat for almost an hour.. before putting fuel in I tried to start it, and it fired right up. I'm thinking it is a fuel issue... hoping it's just a fuel filter. I read somewhere that these have an in-tank fuel pump AND a fuel pump on the frame rail (?). There are no wires running to the tank, (Not even for fuel gauge) , so if it has two pumps it is only running off of the frame rail pump. It ran really well when I first got it, aside from it needing to be "cleared out" in the mornings, and it has gotten progressively worse.

I ran a large bottle of Lucas fuel treatment through it, which didn't help much. My other thought is maybe a clogged injector? It seemed to get worse after the fuel treatment.

Any ideas?

-Dallas

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Are you sure it is a 85 if it is it had the 2.9 conversion 85 had the 2.8. dut needless if it is fuel injected sounds like a bad/dirty sensor clean the IAT or MAF sensor with maf cleaner or electrical cleaner and disconnect the battery for 1/2 hour to reset the computer then erase the memory and run it till it gets hot and then run the codes.http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/OBD_I.html you can use a test light a volt ohm meter or a code reader. The code readers are fairly cheap at the parts store the codes will point you to the faulty sensor. Might be a good idea to give it a good tuneup first plugs ,wires, cap/rotor. And you can check the fuel pressure and look for vacuum leaks check the compression first off to see if the engine is just not worn out. If the compression is good do all the preventative maint stuff first then you can start troubleshooting A guy was having all sorts of problems and turned out the plugs were gapped at about .1 for being old and burnt. He spent alot of money guessing what it might be.

Homelessduck

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
It's an '86, oops. It has 126k miles, and when it isn't feeling bogged down it has a good amount of power. I will do what you said, I should have already.. I just bought it for a temporary vehicle while I fixed my diesel so I didn't really want to dump money into it. I got it for $300, and will probably just take it to the scrap yard.

Thanks.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Dude, unless it's an absolute POS don't just scrap it. At the very least put it up for sale or try to part it out.

chazzone

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Dude, unless it's an absolute POS don't just scrap it. At the very least put it up for sale or try to part it out.
+1!

Where are you?

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Yea dont scrap it put it on craigs list the parts are getting harder to find I am sure someone will give you more than you could get at the bone yard or from a crusher.

Homelessduck

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I'm in Medford,OR. It isn't a pos, I just don't feel like working on another vehicle. It has brand new tires on it , new clutch,starter,etc. Nice interior, nice exterior.. I'll snap some pics of it in a few. If anyone wants it.. I'll take $300 for it. Clear title..

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals