• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Push start

nightmare_82282

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Manual
I am sick of looking for the keys to my 84 BII. So hell with it i'm putting in a push start with toggle ignition from jegs. Any one have a good wire diagram for the Ignition switch? Or can just tell me what wire I need to put power too. :beer:

bronco_lou

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 explorer 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
I am sick of looking for the keys to my 84 BII. So hell with it i'm putting in a push start with toggle ignition from jegs. Any one have a good wire diagram for the Ignition switch? Or can just tell me what wire I need to put power too. :beer:
Don't the steering wheel lock on the 84?

Louis

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Lou has a point. You still have the wheel lock to contend with. If you are really really set on not needing key do one of two things.

1) take your lock cylinder out and remove the tumblers.
2) cut off a key at the head and shove the remainder in with some goo or glue or something to keep it in place.

Either way should be able to just turn the switch and have it fire up and no one else would be the wiser.

Irokranger93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
why do this thing:icon_confused::icon_confused:

Epixstar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
if your gonna do something like that just leave the key in it:icon_confused:

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Heh. Yep.
Its usually not a good idea to just leave the key in the ignition. Its too obvious and invites theft. Then, even if you have the truck insured against theft, if the insurance company finds out you left the key in it they won't cover it. They'll say you assisted (unintentionally).

Epixstar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
i push button just as bad just superglue a broken key in the lock glue it in and if its a auto put a switch on the wire coming off your brake petal so it wont shift out of park unless you switch it.

Little X

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You guys are all arguing about what to do with the key. Try rereading the 1st post. He's doing this because he LOST the keys.

When I put mine in my explorer the ignition switch diagram in the Haynes manual had everything I needed (but I doubt they are the same for your B-II). I just cut all the wires going into the ignition switch (not the ignition cylinder) and rerouted them to my switch panel. You will need to disable the steering column lock somehow, and it's probably a good idea to install a hidden security switch.

trail B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
What he said was he was tired of looking for them.What I would do is cut off a key and stick it in there.I don't understand why it needs to be glued in you don't glue in the whole key.If it's not glued you can change your mind and pick out the piece.People can't see a key so that offers security that leaving the key in doesn't.If the car is stolen tell the insurance company it just broke off if asked.In all probability whatever switch you would change to won't be as reliable as the original set up where all the parts are available in every town.

4x4b2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9l v6
Transmission
Manual
check out my build thread in my signature, it showes how rigged up my push button

nightmare_82282

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Manual
When I bought the Bronco it came with no key, no tumblere, the colum was striped. A push start would be easer that trying to reinstall all the factury crap with all the pop rivets and buying new tumbler and key and blah blah blah. I am sick of starting this thing with what ever I can find and have wires hanging all over the place.

Little X

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
What he said was he was tired of looking for them.
I guess I took that to mean, "I've been looking for me keys for days and still haven't found them." Not, "I don't like spending 2 min. looking for my keys every time I need to drive my truck." If that's the problem, do what I did, hang a key rack next to the garage door, problem solved, lol.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
2) cut off a key at the head and shove the remainder in with some goo or glue or something to keep it in place.
Wow. Did I really suggest gluing a key into the lock?:icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl:

I musta really been out of it that night. Yeah, don't glue anything in the locks.

:icon_rofl::icon_rofl:

nightmare_82282

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Manual
Wow. Did I really suggest gluing a key into the lock?:icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl:

I musta really been out of it that night. Yeah, don't glue anything in the locks.

:icon_rofl::icon_rofl:
It has no lock. It only has the slide that has been removed for the colum so I could start it. I'm not buying a key. I want a ****ing push start. :thefinger:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals