• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.9 with edis?

bronco_lou

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 explorer 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Does anyone know of someone that has changed a 2.9 to edis? I am in the process of putting a complete wiring harness from a 94 explorer in my 88 bronco ii, I plan on someday putting in a 4.0 but for now I am going to run my 2.9. I need to look at the computer pin outs and see if there is a easy way to hook up the 2.9...trying to keep the explorer harness intact so when the 4.0 goes in it will be plug and play.

Thanks,
Louis

bronco_lou

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 explorer 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Also I need one more thing....does anyone have or know where I can get the computer plug pinout for the 88 bronco II with Auto trans?

Thanks,
Louis

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
I'm sure the 3L and 2.9L TFI systems are pretty close if not the same.

I would maybe look for a 4L Crank pulley with the teeth and a CPS.

A EDIS6 module, and make your own wiring harness.

It's very doable, and I am in the "slow" process of converting mine. I'm just lazy and unmotivated.......lol

bronco_lou

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 explorer 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
What all did the 3.0 come in?

Louis

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
What all did the 3.0 come in?

Louis
Taurus and Aerostar are the vehicles that that will be your best bet.

I know the TFI systems are close enough that you can pull a 3.0 TFI and use it on a 2.9

I do have one question, mostly out of curiosity. Why are you trying to run a 2.9 with a 4.0 harness? Why not just wait to do the wire work when you put the 4.0 in?

Although an EDIS 2.9 would be awesome, I'm not sure the PCM is going to support it.

bronco_lou

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 explorer 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Taurus and Aerostar are the vehicles that that will be your best bet.

I know the TFI systems are close enough that you can pull a 3.0 TFI and use it on a 2.9

I do have one question, mostly out of curiosity. Why are you trying to run a 2.9 with a 4.0 harness? Why not just wait to do the wire work when you put the 4.0 in?

Although an EDIS 2.9 would be awesome, I'm not sure the PCM is going to support it.
Well it all started when I thought it would be cool to have an updated dash, so I pulled a dash from a 93 explorer, and after some cussing and head scratching it was done...so I thought, I later found out that the bronco II and the explorer fuel sending units use different ohms range (fuel gauge didn’t work) and I think I cut a wrong wire cause my overdrive quit working. I went and pulled a sending unit from a 94 explorer and was happy to see that it dropped right in my tank. I pulled out the old bronco fuel system and ran the explorer fuel lines from the tank to the engine. Then I pulled the entire wiring harness from a 94 explorer 4x4 and started the transformation on the bronco. All I have done so far is modify my tail lights to accept the newer type socket, and drill two holes in the body for the wiring harness to pass through for the tail lights. I modified the doors and the post the door hinges to so the wiring harness can follow the same path it did in the explorer. I am all done now and almost to the point putting the dash back in and see if my monster will come alive. I just have to come up with a plan the get the engine running for now. I plan to make it 4x4 and put a 4.0 in and when that happens it will be all plug and play.
Thanks,
Louis

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Well, certainly an interesting idea. I somehow doubt that it will be fully plug and play for your 4.0 though, for one reason:

On the 2.9 the TFI module handles the firing of the coil. The PCM handles that function on the 4.0. The 2.9 computer simply isn't programmed to handle that function, and so to run it with the 2.9 computer you will have to find a way of running the TFI module in there somewhere.

You'd almost have been better to find an 89 or 90 B2. It would have worked plug and play, and the 4.0 engine harness would have plugged right into the dash section.

bronco_lou

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 explorer 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
You'd almost have been better to find an 89 or 90 B2. It would have worked plug and play, and the 4.0 engine harness would have plugged right into the dash section.
So would an engine harness from a 89 or 90 B2 plug into the 94 explorer harness?

Louis

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
no, the wiring harness would not interchange. The EDIS module and the TFI use the same pins at the EEC so you could just splice in the wiring for the TFI and figure out a way to power your coil If you wanted to save yourself a step in converting the explorer harness to the 2.9 use a 1990 cali emissions BII computer, that way you can just install a MAF and splice in the TFI and you would be ready to go

bronco_lou

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 explorer 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Well I have decided to go ahead and get a 4.0 to drop in, save me some trouble and time in the long run, no to find a ggod one :)
Louis

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
That's probably going to be quite a bit easier in the long run.

bronco_lou

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 explorer 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Well I got the 4.0 in tonight, just 2 bolts in the tranny and sitting on the mounts, will put some bolts on tomorrow and maybe ready to start this weekend. I can not wait to see what the differance will be.

Anyone have a few pics of an explorer under the hood in stock form? I might have to take a trip to the old JY and take a few.

Louis

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals