• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

chevy springs?

redneckbronco

Reaction score
ok so this probly blongs elsewhere but....Ive done the search and still not clear on wether they will wok on the B2?! So my question is will the 63" chevy springs work on the B2, and where do i have to move the front hanger to? It seems to me and I may be wrong(wont be the first time) but if you move it forward like on the Rangers wont it hit a body mount or something?:icon_confused:

CopyKat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
There was a user that had tried it years ago and you are right about the cab mount. He had to meld the two together. He also had to make a custom rear frame section to move the rear shackle hanger.

No-V8-Why-Drive was his call name.

CopyKat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
From personal experience if your looking for a good riding setup with mild lift. Look into Explorer springs, shackle flip, and a Ranger 4x4 block. This is good for about 3" of lift.

If you looking for a bit more lift then look into 2wd F150 leaf springs instead of the explorer ones.

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
The front hanger when moved, interferes with the cab mount even on the rangers. I had to make the cab mount/front hanger into one on my ranger when I did it.

Not sure if it's worse on the B2's

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
Yikes.

Yup that is worse.

LittleBigFoot

V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
79-00
Make / Model
Mostly Ford.
Engine Size
Building a 408w
Transmission
Automatic
I ran in the same problems when I shortened my WB to 112".

You can get around the body mounts if you're creative and you outboard the springs a little bit.

I got some 3/8" wall 3x6 rect. tube, cut and knotched it to sit flush on the side of the chassis, and under the chassis a little bit. Then I made my own hangers and welded them to that so the spring sits on the back side of the rectangle, and outside of the body mount. Then I boxed it all up, added gussets, and bolted it up.

I wish I had a better picture, but this one might help a little bit.

You can kind of see it behind the sliders. I guess it sort of looks like []> and the leaf spring bolt runs through the >.

The set up in the picture: 63 chebbies, belltech shackle, custom hangers f/r, and a 2" block. In that pic she's sittin on 35s, just to give an example of the height that can be expected. (Oh, and the cab is on a 3" body lift)

If you can dream it, you can do it. Usually.

Last edited:

redneckbronco

Reaction score
What about durango springs will those work? I think ive seen a couple posts about them.

CopyKat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
What about durango springs will those work? I think ive seen a couple posts about them.
Durango springs will work but they are pretty soft. I added a cut down Explorer main to mine. Only other thing to watch for is you might want to get a zero rate add a leaf or you will need to redrill the spring pad and the top plate to move the axle forward 1.5" to better center the axle in the wheel opening.

spdcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 86
Make / Model
B2
Engine Size
2.9 bored and cammed
Transmission
Manual
the other option is to mount the chevy springs under the frame rails. or at least its an idea. i'm trying to research into it myself. but im worried bout the way the frame "dips" down where the front pivot point is. would that cause problems with how the axle flexes? as in, having the tire move forward when it has excess pressure on it (flexing)

_BEYONDER_

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
without knowing to much about this, couldn't you just take 2 1/4 steel plates, cut them to fit around the body mount, gusset it was a piece of 4" square tubing and remount the original hanger below the cab mount...? Just a thaught....

spdcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 86
Make / Model
B2
Engine Size
2.9 bored and cammed
Transmission
Manual
the only thing i could see that could mess with that is the difference in elevation from eye to eye... would this cause problems when flexing? as in the tire coming forward or backward to much?

BONES

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
gt40 5L
Transmission
Automatic
the only thing i could see that could mess with that is the difference in elevation from eye to eye... would this cause problems when flexing? as in the tire coming forward or backward to much?
All depends on the relation to the rear spring eye bolt, if they are fairly even or level the diff will travel mostly straight up and down basically, if one eye is lower than the other the diff will travel forward or backwards as the suspension compresses or unloads.

Even still this movemnet will be minor unless you have a couple feet of travel or one end of the spring is quite a bit lower or higher than the other end of the spring. You should be ok as long as both spring eyes are within a few inches of being level to each other.

spdcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 86
Make / Model
B2
Engine Size
2.9 bored and cammed
Transmission
Manual
All depends on the relation to the rear spring eye bolt, if they are fairly even or level the diff will travel mostly straight up and down basically, if one eye is lower than the other the diff will travel forward or backwards as the suspension compresses or unloads.

Even still this movemnet will be minor unless you have a couple feet of travel or one end of the spring is quite a bit lower or higher than the other end of the spring. You should be ok as long as both spring eyes are within a few inches of being level to each other.
\

this is what i expected. but i wasn't sure. plus with a shackle flip it should kinda balance out right?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals