• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

90 2.9 LOW fuel pressure problems!!!! AHHHH!!!!!

Killtime8

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a 1990 ford ranger with the 2.9 v6 engine.... Having fuel issues.

KOEO fuel pressure starts at 10 psi and will NOT build pressure, if I cycle key on and off and back on it will raise barely 1 psi each time.

As soon as I start the truck, several cranks, fuel pressure will drop back to around 10 from whatever I finally built it up too..... and it will go up a few psi and drop dramatically.

It will idle seemingly properly but I have to flutter the gas to get it to rev up at all, or BARELY push down the gas to slowly raise the rpms. If I floor the gas it will "bog" down and start to hesitate, sputter, pop, backfire from the intake it seems, and the rpms will start to drop. When I push the needle in at the fuel rail pressure check fuel comes out but with almost no pressure and it seems to be aerated. I have put a new: Fuel filter (2nd new one), fuel pressure regulator and the fuel pump is 4 months old bought brand new from orielys (however its spelt) for 140$...... When I turn the key over the fuel pump is working because: I can hear it and I have the bed off now so I have pulled the lines right on top of fuel tank and watched it spew fuel out. I have busted the incoming fuel line loose at the rail, laid it over the fender, and watched it spit fuel out. So I know I have fuel at the rail.... I have no vacuum leaks as far as I have found, Map sensor is used but should be good and if NOT I have 3 laying around and all of them don't improve the condition ( I have tried putting all 3 on the truck ).

I'm just done messing with this truck, I'm at the end of the line with this thing. Would like some help PLEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASE before I wrap her around a tree.

Thanks alot for looking and help guys, I really mean it

easyeric

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 -4.0 next week
Transmission
Automatic
hey, i have an 89 with a 2.9 had th same issues like a year ago, fuel pump, had to take my autozone ...go to th same symptoms rebuilt pump back like 4 times would start out okay than go bad quickly.try th warrenty on that pump. shouldn't have to pay for it again.

Killtime8

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yeah I know, Somehow I have every receipt BUT that one

So your saying it was your fuel pump? I'm sorry I don't understand. Like I said mine still "works" it is moving fuel ....

thanks for a reply

RustedRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Just because it "moves" fuel don't mean it's good,it has to have enough pressure. Next time you buy parts try ebay or rockauto.com and save an arm and a leg...you have the internet so shop around there first. When it comes to fuel pumps get a good brand like Carter...the no names fail quicker.

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
if you are getting a full 12volts to the fuel pump and you have good ground at the pump then you need a fuel pump.

if you are not getting full battery voltage to the fuel pump look at the fuel relay for burnt terminals.

easyeric

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 -4.0 next week
Transmission
Automatic
saying that can run with low pressure, and be a pain to diagnose. i promise dude th fuel pump may run, but not have optimum pressure.

tsimmons21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 soon to be a 302
Transmission
Automatic

:beer:check the fuel pressure regulator. thats what builds pressure, if you think you have a good pump.

cmr2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Is there two pumps / sending unit // one on the frame rail / one in the tank , is the hoses in the tank cracked/ broke

Killtime8

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
New fuel regulator

I just put a brand new Fuel Pressure Regulator on and like I said the fuel pump was brand new 6 months ago. I would have already taken the pump back, which is still under warranty, BUT the receipt got up and walked away like usual. I'm trying to get a friend of mine that use to work at Oreilys to get a day off so he can go up there with me and try to "work something out". I REALLY don't feel like buying another pump for this thing...I've put WAYYYYY to much money into it as it is (daily $$$ driver). I hope it is the pump though because there really isnt much else it could be... Thanks for the replies guys.

Killtime8

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Turns out it was the fuel pump.....

Well I went ahead and paid the 120$ for another fuel pump anddddddddddddddddd it was indeed the other pump had just gotten weak. I'm not sure how that happened in just a 6-8 month period but its whatever I guess. Thanks guys for all the replies, this forum rocks!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals