• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

5.0 and 5 speed swap into a 98 4.0 auto?

croakin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
if the women dont find ya handsome, they will at least find you handy
alright gentlemen, I'm new here and new to rangers in general...
anyways, I've found a good deal on a 1998 ranger xlt 4x4 for 300 bucks that was in an accident (frames straight, titles clear) I'm really curious about stuffing a 5.0 explorer motor into it but I want to swap it over to a manual (m5od?) I've heard about a lot of guys doing the 5.0 swap but i cant find anything about swapping a manual into it... can anyone point me in the right direction? I've looked all over forums and tech forums and nothing about a 5 speed swap...

oh yea and here are some pics of the truck, more to come soon?...

Attachments

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The best 5-speed to use would probably be the M5OD-R2, it is a beefed up version of the R1 used in Rangers
'97-'03 F-150 4x4s with 4.2l(same bolt pattern as 5.0l) are the best source.
Shifter lines up pretty close to where it is now, back a few inches.
Transfer case fits between Ranger frame rails

Last edited:

croakin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Perfect! I know what to look for now.
I can imagine wiring is going to be a nightmare though...

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, wiring and other things.

The 1998 Ranger was the first year of the returnless fuel system, so runs at 65psi fuel pressure, earlier Fords use 45psi fuel system with a return line, so depending on the year of the 5.0l you may need to change the fuel system, it is a toss up as to which is better, changing the fuel rail and injectors or swapping fuel pump and adding return line, kind of depends on what year you get for 5.0l computer and wiring harness.

Explorer 5.0l engines and computers were almost all for use with automatic transmissions, when used with a manual trans you will get CEL(check engine light) on all the time, just FYI, engine still runs fine, you just won't know if you do get a CEL for an engine issue unless you read the codes.

Avoid PATS(passive anti-theft system) computers, '98-'02 on explorers, and other Ford vehicles used this system longer, these require you to get a Ford dealer or a Locksmith to make and program keys, assuming your '98 has the wiring for it, if not then you will need the PATS wiring as well.
So better to just avoid it, lol.

Carb and distributor with mechanical fuel pump is probably sounding pretty good about now :)
But EFI and electronic ignition is more reliable and better for MPG.

Good read here:
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/5_0_swap_in_newer_ranger.html

Last edited:

croakin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
I think when its done it will be worth it, i mean the check engine light wouldnt really be a big deal. I'm just tired of any automatic transmission bs...if it was an older ranger id just stuff a carb on it can call it good but my goal is to have a 5 speed, 5.0 ranger that literally looks like it came from the factory that way...or, (I know you guys will stone me for this but...) ls swap....

as far as that tech page? it was a really good read and I found great information on there but still no luck on trying to get a 5 speed wired in... I wonder if i could get the ecu flashed to erase the automatic transmission part of it...

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I wonder if i could get the ecu flashed to erase the automatic transmission part of it...
That's what is done to eliminate the problem, program the auto functions out
Dave

croakin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Alright guys to anyone whos interested, I just got the truck back home and sold the 4.0 to a buddy that needed it so there's no turning back now... what I am really getting at is that granted I am new to this forum thing I want to do a pretty good write up on this and a good tech write up too... as a fabricator i plan on building my own s.s. headers for this along with showing all the wiring and what now so stay tuned! this might be interesting or y'all might just laugh your ass off at me!

croakin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
alright gentlemen... i started the tear down and ran into another problem... when this truck was in the accident and wrecked the header panel and the side panels that it seems to be spot welded to? well at least one anyway... any thoughts on replacing it or can i even get a new one?

Attachments

armadillon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Yes, you can get a new header panel and inner fenders if needed. There's nothing you can't do unless you're limited by the correct tools or fabrication skills.

Also, you may want to look into a newer model clip swap. This would be a great time to do it.

Last edited:

croakin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
thank you sir! any idea where i can get these parts? i can find some of them at rockauto and i can find some of them but any idea where else i can find them?

armadillon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Search "2011 Clip Swap Parts List" and you'll find a list I posted literally last night with all the rock auto part numbers. You may not need them all, but its pretty exhaustive

croakin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
awesome, as far as putting this all on the truck i assume its not all just "bolt on" but is it easy enough to do? I mean as far as skills and tools are concerned there's not much i don't have. you just have to bare with me I'm a chevy guy getting into rangers...

shr3dd3r 09

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.9L Inline 4 Cylinder Cummins 4BT
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3 Inches
Tire Size
33X11.5X16 (285/75R16)
See my build thread below. Your fuel system is returnless like mine is. I also used the m5odr2 transmission and mated it to a bw4406 transfer case. You will have to have the automatic transmission codes deleted and transmission load, torque converter load, etc. scalars in the truck's ECU changed so that it will run correctly with a manual transmission.

Take it to a reputable tuner and it's an easy job. Just make sure there are NO VACUUM LEAKS!!! I had problems for MONTHS and it turned out that it was a cracked intake manifold... My truck is down again right now. The motor is ancient, transmission has failed... so it's getting a new motor and transmission again. In the tear down process right now. My original build thread is below. Hope it helps.

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135193&highlight=v8+swap:+5.0+for+3.slow

croakin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
thanks man your build thread helped a lot! now i know what to look for, what to do, and how to do it, I am a welder/fabricator by trade so anything metal working isnt going to be too hard, electrical? that's a different story... but since i have a daily driver right now i plan on tearing it down to the frame, paint, clean, rebuild everything on the chassis and body. the goal is to have a 5.0 5 speed ranger exactly the way the factory SHOULD of made it.

croakin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Alright I have started to strip down this poor old girl, beds unbolted (needs to be replaced) seats are out, then the truck sat wrecked it molded inside and out ( pacific northwest problems...) and of course stripping the wiring and assorted B.S. out of the engine bay for now until i can get everything else unbolted and get some buddies over to help lift everything off...

Attachments

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals