• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2003 Fx4, 4.0

mccoady

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Okay thanks!

mccoady

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Sorry but I have a couple more questions, when I go someplace online (like U-Haul) you need to put in what class hitch I have would mine be a Class 3? This is what's written on the hitch itself:
Hitch Type Max Gross trailor Weight (lb.)
Weight Distribution 6000 Max Tongue Weight 600
Weight Carrying 3500 Max Tongue Weight 350
V-5

Also I had thought about renting a 6x12 as seminaryranger said he had used this size but a call to a dealer has me thinking about a smaller one. He said he's not saying I couldn't pull it but that size was so tall and there was so much wind resistance that it could put alot of strain on my pickup. Do you think a 5x10 would be a safer size to use?

Last edited:

seminaryranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
No, I pulled the 5x10' up to KS and it had much less room than the 6x12' I pulled back. The bigger 6x12' will pull harder, but it is well within our trucks' capability. The 6x12' trailer has a dry weight of about 2000lbs- that leaves you with ~3500lbs of cargo you can put in there and still be safe according to Ford.

You have a class III hitch.

I have pulled both those trailers for a long distance, and I would suggest getting the bigger one.

Here's the 5x10'

Here's the 6x12'

You might want to get one of these (the cooler!) to help keep the transmission cooler.

mccoady

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
@ Seminaryranger or anyone else who cares to respond. I've decided to rent a 6x12 Uhaul but have a couple of questions. Should my Ranger run pretty much normal temp wise or will it run a little hot?

Since I will have my overdrive off won't it be a little hard to tell if my pickup is stressing with the load?

And since there's no real way (unless I take it to some scales) to tell how heavy of a load I will end up pulling do you recommend I don't haul anything in the bed of my pickup or does it make a difference?

Mike

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
Just pull it, I've pulled a loaded 6x12 with my 1990 2wd 4-cyl ranger with a bad clutch and 240,000 miles :D

It will be no problem for a 2003 with a 4.0. Just turn OD off and leave plenty of room to stop.

samsonitesamsonite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Jeep
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Im going to move back to washington sometime in the near future I will have no reservations with towing a trailer that size across the US with my 4.0 5 speed

Danger FX4 Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
go for it

I towed a 16' tandem axle trailer with 2- 4ton (capacity, not weight) packaged heat pumps close to 100 miles behind my FX4. The truck towed it without problem, although it did take slightly more effort to stop. The total loaded trailer weight was probably around 3500 pounds.

mccoady

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Okay I won't worry about it anymore and do what you said just pull it but can I still load down the pickup bed also?

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual

nearly 3,000lbs in the trailer, 500lbs in the bed and 200lbs for the topper. no trailer brakes. went about 2700 miles from alaska to washington through the canadian rockies. 3.73 gearing and 31" tires with the 3.0 (bad combo).

your worrying too much :derisive:

baadboy11

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Load her up and go, i've got a 03 4x4 with the 4.0 and i've hauled 6x12 trailers that were fully loaded, plus a full pickup bed. You can do it, just take it easy and listen to the truck...you will know if she is pissed. Just give yourself time to stop. Hell i towed an 18 foot boat from Colorado to Arizona...not sure i'd do it again though :derisive:

pintopaul

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1979 1980 2000
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
ok i understand weight but what about lenght im looking at a 24ft camping trailer i just dont want to go to big ,weight is within specs but lenght is the question. thanks paul

hihoslvr

Banned
--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'04
Make / Model
F.O.R.D.
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I guess I'll attempt to respond... I used to haul 53ft trailers (with a semi of course), as long as your trailer doesn't exceed the weight limit you'll be okay. just know how to lineup your turns, you're gonna need to take right turns extra wide, so be careful.
you might want to familarize yourself with how she handles.
Also look at helpful items such trailer brakes and weight distribution hitches, think there was some info on this site about such - Tech Library - Towing - Towing Trailers

Last edited:

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
There's no need to turn off the overdrive unless it starts to hunt--that is it keeps kicking in and out of overdrive. That constant shifting will heat it up. Use that as a guide. There's no reason to just arbitrarily keep an auto out of overdrive. The transmission downshifts due to engine torque demands. If it stays in overdrive, that means the engine demand is within it's limits. I would punch the cruise on at 60mph and turn on some Wilson Pickett or a James Lee Burke audiobook and enjoy the drive; thumbing the OD off in headwinds or grades that make it hunt.

As to the weight--that's not an issue. It's only an issue on semi's because of road damage. What is the major, major issue is the frontal area of that trailer. That 6' wide U-Hual is no problem. It has surge brakes and if you load it evenly, no problem.

Pulling a 24' long travel trailer with a Ranger is insanity. Those are 8' wide and at least 8-9' tall. A Ranger is about 5.5' wide and 6' tall. That trailer empty will kick your trucks butt just because you don't have enough truck in front of it to punch a hole in the air for the trailer. Plus the softly sprung Ranger, or even light-duty full-size, squirms around with that big lever wagging it. Even if it isn't heavy, it is going to have a lot of dynamic forces since there weight it does have is a good distance from the back of the truck. Definately use a pair of spring bar equalizers and a pair of sway controls to keep it under control if you absolutely have to do it. I think a vehicle with something around 7,000# GVWR is about the minimum for such a big trailer.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
i pull a 6x9 haulmark trailer with mine, weighs 1,000 empty. biggest issue i have is frontal area, having a "V" nose helps. i like the extra height though, its 6' inside, easily stand up in. ive put in E-tracks and plan on adding floor tie-down loops. ive had it pretty loaded before,never scaled but im guessing around 3,000 total. i was considering starting a hauling bussiness with it, but fuel prices have pretty much axed that.

________
Aichi Steel

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals