• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Meltdown (a Miner situation)

4x4player

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
About 1.5" in front and 2" rear
Tire Size
29x10.5x15
My credo
He who travels faster, travels alone.
So, I had a meltdown in the engine compartment. Numerous connectors, fusable links and a few wires melted together. Fun
Anyway, I have several 80's Ford wire harnesses to pick at, and a set of factory Ford wiring diagrams for my truck.
I eliminated a few of the defective connectors and relocated a few grounds. (not a big deal.)
All is going well until I discover that the plug that goes into the knock sensor is nowhere to be found. Weird I thought. Looking at the wiring diagram I find two wires that are supposed to go to it. An 18 gauge, Light Green/black stripe and another 18 gauge, Black/white stripe. The Black wire is the signal return path back to the Brain, and here is the confusing part, according to the wiring diagram, the green wire goes to the "air-port solenoid signal" (huh?)

I thought the knock sensor told the EEC to pull out spark advance until the rattle goes away. (?)

On the drivers side inner fenderwell is a bunch of connectors. (two of which are on the shop floor!) I found half of a two pin (gray) connector not hooked up to anything. The wires are different colors. Anyway, I found another (gray)2 pin connector just a few inches away. I disconnected the two halves and discovered that one half will plug into the connector that was missing it's other half. This is too weird.
Did I just discover two Ford Engineering mistakes? :dunno: One: the wiring diagram is wrong? Two: interchangeable connectors?
I still gotta figure out the Knock sensor.
Is it possible to temporally leave it disconnected?

Last edited:

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
No clue about the specific issues you have. As for mistakes in a manual,every manual, every data base, has mistakes, because the data originates with humans. There are bound to be errors and omissions and stuff done backwards in the Bentley manual for my 528es. It is a 40$ manual for the model. I had one for a 1966 VW 1300 by them too. They are way better than Haynes or Chiltons but not perfect.

4x4player

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
29x10.5x15
My credo
I find Haynes manuals almost useless. To a seasoned mechanic they are too basic. Chiltons and Motors manuals are better, I actually like to read them. Some of my older Chiltons have sections for rebuilding power steering pumps, alternators, yadda yadda... Cool stuff.
Yet, I have found typos and mistakes in them too.
The factory Ford wiring diagrams I'm using are Ford Engineering drafts and contain wiring for proposed stuff that was cancelled and never put into production. So they are a little bit cluttered. I have found them to be pretty accurate. The wiring color codes are correct as far as I have checked.
(I haven't dug into the dash yet) However, the wire gauge is different in some circuits.
The drawing for the knock sensor is kinda deceptive, it looks like a closed circuit. So disconnecting the knock sensor would throw a code.
My truck has yet to throw a fault code. (also weird)
I'm thinking I might have dislodged the Knock sensor wiring when I rebuilt the A4LD and it was yanked away while off-roading.
I'm old school. When I went to a Mechanics trade school in Iowa, cars didn't use computers and fuel injection. Heck, a feedback carb was a new and hated thing back then.
That's funny because my '84 Ranger had a 2.8L V6 with a feedback carb and I wish I had that truck now. Stupid me, I parted it out.
I suppose a trip to the local self-serve wrecking yard will result in the answer and the wiring I need.
On another note, my Dad had a '65 bug that I drove when I first moved to California. I had to push start it a lot because it had a wiring issue. lol.

4x4player

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
29x10.5x15
My credo
Does my 1988 Ford Ranger with a 2.9L V6 and A4LD even require a knock sensor?
I found a thread talking about 88 and after not having them. Unfortunately, I can't find it again.
I changed my brain thinking it was defective. (stop laughing) My truck had a California brain and I changed it to a 49 state brain. It ran fine after the change.
(better, I think)
If I used a brain from a 1987 and earlier model, would I need the Knock sensor?
How would I know?
Anybody?
So, who's the wiring expert? I wanna pick your brain!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals