• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

93 ranger running poorly

1993rangerxl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4 banger 2.3L
Transmission
Manual
This started a few days ago, started running bad after stalling it. Low rpm's runs like out of time, exhaust smells awful (not rotten eggs smell), heavy oil smoke, heavy carbon inside tailpipe. Over 3000 rpm runs pretty good but still off in power. Timing seams to be OK. Drove it home from work yesterday, started out same way part way home ran normal then few blocks away ran like crap again. Could use any help with this.
93 four banger, 5spd. 333k miles.

93 4x4

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Check your computer board on the driver side of the firewall take the board out and see you see any black dots under the diodes they leak on the board an can give you that sort of instant problem happened to mine and we have
The same year truck

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
I don't know particulars. I would be checking, the 2 wire temp sensor, the fuel pressure regulator, and the ignition spark. Any codes being thrown?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I'd start with cleaning the MAF sensor. the O2 sensor could cause a lot of problems, but usually you get a CEL for it.

1993rangerxl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4 banger 2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Ok, here goes a key on engine off codes.
111 (sent twice), 117,217,333,233,417.
Will run complete test tomorrow and see what happens.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I read that a sign of possibly a bad ECM, or PCM is giving fake codes, or codes that don't exist. are you using a scanner or counting the flashes?

111 says system pass,

117: ECT sensor is/was low or grounded - ECT or haynes manual says temperature circuit below minimum voltage/indicates above 245 degrees

217: not in the haynes manual, but online chart says (M) Primary circuit failure - ignition coil 3 - Ignition Systems

333: not found

233: not found

417: not found

i'd look at the pcm. i just did mine on my 94 it was pretty easy to do. first i'd take out the old one, take the cover off and see if it is corroded inside or has any leaking capacitors. I got mine from rock auto, it was 120 bucks. make sure you get the one for your truck, as in 4 cyl, standard trans etc.

1993rangerxl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4 banger 2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I'll be doing the more complete test today. I'm using a Sunpro code scanner. I've owned the truck 17 yrs and up to the last year lived on a limestone dirt road. The dust is still caked in every little nook and cranny there is. Very difficult just getting cover off test port. I'll post later what the scanner gives me.

1993rangerxl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4 banger 2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Here are the codes I have so far. 111 which I know is no problem found, then have 172,173,332,334. Not able to do engine running test yet, has been running so bad it ran out of gas. Gas gauge does not work properly. Hasn't for years.

1993rangerxl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4 banger 2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Played around with some of the connection underhood, put about a quart of gas in it(all I had here) started and seams to run better, need to get more gas first.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Looks like you may have an egr problem.

1993rangerxl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4 banger 2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Unplugged and plugged back TPS and IAC, also swapped relays for EEC and fuel pump. Running fine now!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals