• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

ranger 4x4 23.3T

Cody L

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
Dont forget to get the mounts on the frame for the 2.3 4x4. They are umique.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I tried to respond to your email question, but it bounced back... my answer is basically covered above.

Just to note, there were 4x4 4 cylinder trucks just as long as 4x4 V6 trucks, but they did stop in '97... it would be best to find an '88 or newer to get a M5OD trans as it's stronger than what was around earlier...

turbo91xlt

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year

Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
IMO the best 2.3 4x4 to turbo is a late '90-'92 (2nd gen) ranger since they already are obd1 (makes for an easy swap & repin of the wire harness), come with the m5od trans already. They will also have a true D35 front axle up front & all have 4.10 gears stock. Also if you get lucky and it has a manual t-case it will be the better 1354 one.

The only part that is 100% unique to a 4cyl 4wd ranger is the frame side engine brackets. With those you can put a 2.3 in any v6 4x4 RBV :cool:

Boles

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
To Don not sure on sticker,can check when i pull it out may not,late build date of 86.Thought it was a Mazda tranny?
I have found other rangers older ones with the 2.3,just not sure why i am hearing not available in those years.I have seen that motor in 84,85,86 the 84 and 85 carb this 86 i am getting fuel inj.
I have found my truck,it is an 86 4x4 4cyl 5spd manual 4x4 on floor,also fuel injected so it it will be OBD.Not sure on diff and gearbox as to what it is?
I am not worried about that part my engine harness is a 2.3T harness from my 2wd is coming out,it was made by turbojoemorgan and i am using the PE from an 86 SVO.
One thing odd with this ranger i am getting wing windows on doors,are they bronco 2 doors?

Boles

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
Thanks everyone for the info so far.
will send pics if i can

Boles

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
my truck for project

1986 ranger 2.3 4cyl EFI 5spd, manual transfer,manual hubs.Not able to load other pics just would like some help finding more info on truck.This bed has no fuel door,anyone have any ideas? All the interior plastic is covered with material,stock? Or did somebody put that on? Not sure if seat is original design? Have pic can't load some of them?
Cab mounts are shot,wanna rebuild suspension,also will be putting my turbo motor from my 2wd 87 ranger in this 4x4.

Attachments

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals