• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Towed for my first time yesterday

darkspork

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I pulled a 5x9 utility trailer with a riding mower in it. It was actually really easy with the Ranger. Now I just need for figure out the whole backing thing.

strvger

Reaction score
the land of 2 seasons-Winter and getting ready for
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
backing is simple enough AFTER you're sure nothing (kids, pets, etc.) is behind you:

1. go very slowly
2. turn the steering wheel the opposite direction you want the trailer to go.
3. practice, practice, practice.

have fun and be safe.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My backing technique consists of 2 simple steps. Don't listen to the put your hand on the bottom of the wheel crap or anything else. These two ridiculously simple steps, which you repeat to yourself while backing up, will make a lot of sense immediately--and reduce tummy wrinkles after childbirth, plus build muscle mass.

1--get the trailer going the direction you want it to go

2--chase the trailer with the truck

Once you figure this out you will learn to stop watching the trailer and will instead watch where the trailer is going and will drive the trailer instead of the truck.

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
If you find you cannot sort out the backing up thing just get yourself a front receiver. Makes putting the trailer exactly where you want it dead easy.

02RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Another tip for when you're backing up, don't use your mirrors... I NEVER use my mirrors for backing up, never with any of the goosenecks we have, never. I find it to be more of a pain in the ass to use the mirrors than to just turn around. The mirrors are good for checking to see if there's stuff behind you, but otherwise its easiest to just turn around.

Good luck, once you get used to it, you really don't need to pay attention to how you turn your wheels, it will all become instinct.

dixie_boysles

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
^^^agree! I can back a trailer like a beast, but tell me to use mirrors only, and i cant. I HAVE to turn around! You will also find that the bigger the trailer, the easier it is to manuever. The little ones like to turn too fast and are harder to steer backwards

02RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
^^^agree! I can back a trailer like a beast, but tell me to use mirrors only, and i cant. I HAVE to turn around! You will also find that the bigger the trailer, the easier it is to manuever. The little ones like to turn too fast and are harder to steer backwards
Yep, and also trailers with a longer tongue are easier to maneuver, and so are goosenecks.

Even with tall livestock trailers, I just make sure there ain't nothing on the one side, open the door and backup looking back like that, just easier that way because you can line up the small door on the trailer better.

stimmie78

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I use mirrors... and I use the hands at the bottom of the steering wheel... but driving a semi will get you used to using mirrors. I'm so used to not being able to see out the back that mirrors are a must in my book.

strvger

Reaction score
the land of 2 seasons-Winter and getting ready for
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i use mirrors on larger trailers and turn my head for the smaller ones that don't show up well in my mirrors. seems like everyone has their own way of backing up trailers. again, the key is: practice, practice, practice. you'll find what works best for you quickly enough.

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
One thing that might make things a little easier is drop the tailgate or if you have an exploder, open the hatch. It gives you a better view of the trailer.

02RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
One thing that might make things a little easier is drop the tailgate or if you have an exploder, open the hatch. It gives you a better view of the trailer.
With a tailgate down, you may need to watch out depending on what type of jack the trailer has. If its one that goes in the A-frame and is almost right up by the hitch, you run the risk of running your tailgate into it.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I use mirrors... and I use the hands at the bottom of the steering wheel... but driving a semi will get you used to using mirrors. I'm so used to not being able to see out the back that mirrors are a must in my book.
That's what I was thinking--about the mirrors.

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I dont know why everyone knocks the bottom ofthe wheel stuff, I started out that way and after a while, I just got comfortable to where I can back any way I want without even thinkin about it. Its simple and it works. Its just like typing, I could always type very fast but it was always finger pecking and watching the keyboard, But after a few years of typing I realized I wasnt watching the keyboard anymore.

tlandreth

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
I started off using a small utility trailer behind the back of a lawn tractor, and now I can back almost anything! From our 35' travel trailer to my 5x8' utility trailer, it just comes natural.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
find a field and some boxes, make a "spot" for the trailer, and go for it.... just don't jackknife it and you're golden. find out what works for you, listen to the tips above, but find the one that works for you..
i personally don't use mirrors and don't grab the bottom of the wheel. only time i use mirror is when i am backing the semi's in the shop, when i don't have a choice

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals