• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Anyone installed a remote starter?

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
My wife has been saying for quite a while that she wants a remote starter for her 2004 Mitsubishi Galant. I was wondering if anyone has installed one, and if they would recommend me doing it myself, and just taking the car somewhere and getting one installed.

bigmark303

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.5
Transmission
Automatic
Just make sure whatever unit you purchase is compatible with any antitheft/alarm system otherwise you will be buying bypass modules and other junk thats not needed. Try and stay with a simple one also. Some need to be connected to the instrument cluster and all the lighting which isn't necessary.

Otherwise just be familiar with the ignition wiring and the unit should come labeled on its end as to what goes where. Not that hard to install. Just make sure all the wires are soldered or at the very least crimped tight.

Jim Oaks

Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
I don't know if the car has an alarm. If it does, it's probably the factory alarm where the horn blows if you pull the lock up and open the door instead of using the key, remote, or door switch.

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
I would take it to a pro shop and get it done right the first time. I know two pwople who tried it themselfs and had nothing but issues down the road. They both removed it. One of my friends still wanted one so he took it to a shop and spent about $100 on it and he still has it and loves it.

The only thing bad about a remote starter is this......if someone ( a kid or a pet) is playing around with your key chain and presses the start button that will start the vehicle up. If it is closed up in a garage and running it could kill your whole family. One of my friends had his remote start his truck about 10:00 at night when one of the kids picked up his keys that were laying on the kitchen table. He just happened to go out to the garage to get his golf clubs and saw the truck running. That is very scary.

Bronco638

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Had one installed in my wife's 2012 Escape. She loves it and I had it done by an electrical engineer that happens to be a Ford fan. He's in Lafayette, IN. I've had no issues with it. I don't recall the brand however. I think I would recommend a professional. Also, ask them to solder the connections. Avoid those Scotch-Loks at all costs.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The only thing bad about a remote starter is this......if someone ( a kid or a pet) is playing around with your key chain and presses the start button that will start the vehicle up. If it is closed up in a garage and running it could kill your whole family. One of my friends had his remote start his truck about 10:00 at night when one of the kids picked up his keys that were laying on the kitchen table. He just happened to go out to the garage to get his golf clubs and saw the truck running. That is very scary.
My GF's Edge will only run for 15 minutes with the remote, some may be different though.

But if you leave your keys laying around and don't pay attention to your kids they could just run the car through the wall too.

Older vehicles are not as "plug and play" as the newer ones and it is more complicated to hook up.

There is one nice thing about a custom exhaust I guess, sitting outside 30' from the house I can here my truck grumbling out there as it warms up (I have to run out and start it though)

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Depending on your setup(where vehicle is parked) another option is a block heater, this is also better for the engine in that the oil stays a bit warmer on those cold morning starts.

Engine warms up pretty fast when started.

A block heater only needs to run for 4 to 5 hours prior to starting, so a timer on the line will save you money.

Jim Oaks

Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
She mentions it even more now because the 2003 Excursion I bought has one on it. I found the other day that it will shut itself off after so long if you don't put the key in it. I need to try and figure out who installs them in my area.

bigmark303

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.5
Transmission
Automatic
Any car audio shop usually does those types of jobs. If you know anyone who has had an aftermarket car starter for a while without issue start there.

Lots of hacks out there and car starters need to be wired correctly. Not only matching wires but soldering or perfect crimp work or youll find out down the road when the ignition has been disabled from an open or faulty ground, the car trying to start itself, large electrical draw, loss of electronics function, electrical things down that road.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Just read something about the Prius, never read about this before.

When you shut the engine off a pump comes on and cycles the engine coolant into an insulated storage "tank", so "tank" is charged with hot coolant.
When restarting cold engine you turn the key on and the pump cycles the still warm coolant thru the upper engine, pre-warming it for start up.

It was said the storage tank could hold heat for two or three days.

Outside of the tank and pump it is pretty much free energy since hot coolant is waste heat anyway.
Just thought it was a clever idea

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
My wife has managed to install a remote start system on her last two vehicles. I don't recommend the one she uses. It works well, but I still get really cold going out to start her car.

I would see if you have a Paul McHenry (PMAC) near you. They mostly deal with OEM accessories, and they do all of our remote start installs.

Jim Oaks

Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
My wife has managed to install a remote start system on her last two vehicles. I don't recommend the one she uses. It works well, but I still get really cold going out to start her car.

I would see if you have a Paul McHenry (PMAC) near you. They mostly deal with OEM accessories, and they do all of our remote start installs.
ROFL :icon_rofl:

I was really impressed until I got to the end of that paragraph.

I called and found out it's $299.00 plus tax. That's honestly more than I was expecting after checking prices for the kits.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Yeah, I have been planning to get her remote start systems for a few years now, and just give her the remote at Christmas. Then I look at what it costs, what's involved in installing it, and how many problems they cause when they die, and I say screw it, I'll just keep starting it for her.

Haywire6000

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo Four Plug Head
Transmission
Manual
I installed one in my 1993. I love the thing.... BUT installing it to work and installing it right are two different things. Wiring a tach cutoff and so on are options that most decent installers will do. Also warranty. If you install it and lets say it starts when gear and runs across three lawns and into someones house and you installed it, well it won't be good. If some one else installed it it's there problem and you have no fault.(For the most part).

Jim Oaks

Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
I start her car before she goes to work, but I'm not there to start it when she leaves work.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals