• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

94 track truck

AustunXXI

Reaction score
I'm in the process of turning my truck into a time attack/drift truck. I've got my plans almost complete.... but... I want to swap my crappy steering box to a rack and pinion. Only question I have is: can I use an 85 mustang svo rack and pinion on my 94 ranger?

Last edited:

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Not sure how arack and pinion would function with i-beams. Seems like there would be lots of issues with the beams and tie rods moving in different arcs.

Maybe a steering quickener would help you?

AustunXXI

Reaction score
I didn't think of that, thanks. I'm having trouble looking up other suspension/handling upgrades for rangers that don't involve lift kits. Probably looking wrong, but any tips and tricks will be appreciated.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Nobody really makes performance suspension stuff for Rangers. Your best bet is to lower thhe truck to drop the center of gravity, and get stiff swaybars and sticky tires.

AustunXXI

Reaction score
I'm considering either a thunderbird or cobra irs set up and possibly doing a mustang sub frame. Lots of fab work, I know. The width of the mustang rotor to rotor is narrower than the ranger. Which I will address with negative offset wheels and possibly spacers. I was just hoping to be able to avoid fabricating. Otherwise, I'm going to go with a mustang 8.8 with disc brakes, lower the truck, and add a quick steer. I'm stuck with possibilities...

Last edited:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Personally, I'd get a sla ranger instead of the tib. I'm racing a ttb [short course off road] and if I didn't already have a lot of time and money into it I'd go 98+ instead.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm considering either a thunderbird or cobra irs set up and possibly doing a mustang sub frame. Lots of fab work, I know. The width of the mustang rotor to rotor is narrower than the ranger. Which I will address with negative offset wheels and possibly spacers. I was just hoping to be able to avoid fabricating. Otherwise, I'm going to go with a mustang 8.8 with disc brakes, lower the truck, and add a quick steer. I'm stuck with possibilities...
The thunderbird IRS is a different bolt pattern than your truck, so you'd have to convert the hubs to mustang cobra pieces, or run dual pattern wheels or adapters.

The Cobra IRS is supposed to be a better overall suspension design than the MN12 in the thunderbird/Mark8, and it's the same bolt pattern as a Ranger so it would eliminate a bit of work, but it's going to be more expensive up front.

Both IRS assemblies will be a few inches wider than your solid axle, so you'll either have to widen the bed, or run narrow rear tires with crazy offset wheels (assuming you'll be lower than stock at that point).

As for the front, from what I can tell from a quick googling, the only Mustang with a narrower track width than the Ranger is a fox body car. The SN95, New Edge and newer cars would all be wider which would cause some issues.

Just some stuff to consider before you start cutting on the frame. It's a big time project that requires a lot of time, money and skill. You'd probably get 85-90% of the performance with far less cost and time just by dropping the truck with standard Ranger parts, getting thick sways, and cramming as much sticky tire under it as you can fit. Just depends how much time, money and sweat you're willing to invest.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals