• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

mudding in the bii

fordman2121

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo LPG blow-through
Transmission
Manual
I got to break in the bii last night in the mud. I put a 2 inch lift on and some 31x10.5s. Welded the rear diff, removed the rear sway bar and maid a disconnect for the front. She did real good when I was driving....then I let the wife take it out. She calls to tell me shes stuck and she thinks I could get it out. So I start walking over to her and I here the bii reving and moving back and forth about 3 feet, then I hear a loud pop. There goes the front lock out. So now Im wondering....is now the time to upgrade to the dana 35? Seeing as I can buy a whole exploder for 700. I can take the front and rear diffs out and the radiator(mines 1/3 plugged so I need one anyway) then scrap whats left and not have much of anything in the swap. Whats everyones thoughts? Ill get a couple pics up later.

ForOffRoadDriving

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
common sense would say yes, buy the explorer and take the 8.8 and D35 and put them into the B2, pull the radiator out and put that in the B2 as well, and then scrap the explorer for anywhere from 200-300. you might still have hidden costs in the explorer parts such as new ujoints and seals and such, but youll have a much more wheeling friendly rig in the end.

integman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
you should take the 4.0 too

unoleisu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
And get the wife her own BII.....

unoleisu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My daughter said I should say "lol" So you know it was funny.

fordman2121

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks guys. Im still wanting to get an expoder to do the swaping of axles, springs, and rad. As for the 4.0 swap Ive already took out the ol 2.9 and swapped in a 2.3 turbo motor...she likes to rev out. When we were messin around last night I looked down at my tach and saw it at 7000, and thats when I had lifted my foot alittle. Ive also got the waste gate unhooked I peg my 15psi gauge all the time.

Anyway back to the problem at hand. I started looking at the hub that came apart and I thought hhmmmmm I think I can make a fully locked hub with the parts that are left. It wont be a big deal as 90% of the time will be off road and the other 10% are less then 5 miles at a time to town and back or to the mud. Ill get pics of it when I get a chance but it wont be till next week as ive got a big job to do over the weekend.

fordman2121

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I got the new rad in and my hub made. no pics I forgot the camera. The hub fit behind the center caps that came with my wheels. so it dosnt even look to billy. I didnt get a chance to take it out to test it today. but it spins with the tire just fine

Tb8983

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Not big enough
Transmission
Manual
Thanks guys. Im still wanting to get an expoder to do the swaping of axles, springs, and rad. As for the 4.0 swap Ive already took out the ol 2.9 and swapped in a 2.3 turbo motor...she likes to rev out. When we were messin around last night I looked down at my tach and saw it at 7000, and thats when I had lifted my foot alittle. Ive also got the waste gate unhooked I peg my 15psi gauge all the time.

Anyway back to the problem at hand. I started looking at the hub that came apart and I thought hhmmmmm I think I can make a fully locked hub with the parts that are left. It wont be a big deal as 90% of the time will be off road and the other 10% are less then 5 miles at a time to town and back or to the mud. Ill get pics of it when I get a chance but it wont be till next week as ive got a big job to do over the weekend.
You got any engine bay pics and what your milege like

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
i wanna hear more about this 2.3T swap in a b2...

and yes, explorer axles all the way! screw wasting money in a 7.5 and d28

fordman2121

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I will snap some pics tonight of the engine bay when I get out to the garage. As for the mileage it was never the best when I was dding as I have locked timing. I averaged about 12 mpgs on LP. For comparsion I get 12-13mpg in my 2000 expedition doing the same driving but on gasoline. I think there would have been more in the mpg if I would get the msd and the OD dosnt work so I think I could get a couple mpgs out of it.

I did out run my brothers expl. with a 4.0 5spd.

country0001

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I get 20 w my 4.0 B2. Its pretty peppy too. That is highway mileagetoo. Still be interesting

fordman2121

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My driving is 4 miles into town on a twisty 2 lane then through town to work, then home again. Like I said I know that there was more in it as far as mpgs, but I did drive it like its stolen alot. It was alot of fun on the street! The LP is also about 15-20% less in mpg because of the loss of btu per gallon.

Here are some pics from the build. I didnt make it out to the garage tonight.

Attachments

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals