• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Missing wires?

CaverDave

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I'm working on an 87 Bronco II. It is gutless on hills and has a bad idle, loping,way high idle and no idle at random. First thing I notice is in bulb check there was no "check engine" light. I hooked up the scanner and ran tests and pulled codes. Got code 95(fuel pump secondary) Went to test pin 8 for ground and there is no wire on pin 8 and obviously never has been. Then went to replace bulb in check engine light and there is no hole for a bulb or wires in the harness for one. The wiring diagram I have shows a brown wire on pin 8 and a check engine light in the dash. Has anyone else run into something like this? How would you pull codes without a scanner if there is no M.I.L..

I've seen where the DTC 95 can be related to idle problems but with no wire in the harness for that pin it looks like you would always get DTC 95.

As for the gutless I'm thinking the cat is stopped up but the wiring and idle problem has me confused.

David

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Which "pin 8"? There are at least 10 connectors on that truck that have a "pin 8". Pin 8 at the diag connector, or at the instrument cluster?

Also, not all of the vehicles that year were wired to use the CEL. My truck's original cluster has the hole for it, but came with no bulb in it from the factory.

Both of my 88's, one of which has since donated all it's wiring and the cluster to my 87, did come equipped with that. I think the main difference is between tach and non-tach clusters. The computer doesn't seem to make a difference since when I was running my 88 donor on an 87 computer the CEL was flashing. I guess you could probably run a wire and throw a bulb in it. The hole is there, even if it's not in the printed circuit.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals