• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

75w140 or 80w90?

Mike Tonon

07 Ranger 4x4 with rear limited slip (yes, I put friction modifier in), 8.8, 4.10 differentials

I replaced my gear oil yesterday with 75w140 synthetic from the dealer, because they said the 75w140 supersedes it. Is this ok or am I going to destroy bearings? (But they also told me Mercon V was recommended for the transfer case, when it says right on the back not to use it in transfer cases.)

My area has winters that typically get down as low as -5 F or so, a few nights.

My repair manual calls for 80w90 for front and rear, but I've read that newer 80w90 is different than it was then.

What's with all this confusion on correct fluids????

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
You won't destroy bearings by using 75W-140 in place of 80W-90 in a differential.

What you may lose though is a very slight bit of MPG, since it is a thicker viscosity than what you need (probably not more than 0.5-1 MPG).

I also don't think Mercon V will harm a transfer case (at least not a 1350 or 1354), however I would agree about using what is recommended, which nowadays is known as "Dex/Merc" fluid, since Ford decided to go stupid with licensing of the name "Mercon" some years back.
Indeed that has caused a lot of confusion when it comes to fluids for pre-'08 Fords where Mercon fluid may have been called for (Ford flip-flopped a couple times on whether Mercon V was actually backward-compatible with Mercon, eventually settling on a claim that it superseded Mercon, however it's been observed to cause degradation of shift quality on some M5OD transmissions, so I do not recommend it's use in the M5OD).

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
Ford specs synthetic 75W-140 only for the FX4 LII differential with the Torsen. The bearings work just fine with it.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Ford specs synthetic 75W-140 only for the FX4 LII differential with the Torsen. The bearings work just fine with it.
Ford specs 75-140 for most things after 2010. The other thing with that is that they often issue supercessions of fluid specs in the form of Special Service Messages or Technical Service Bulletins, or worse yet as a footnote or update in the parts catalog, and then never go back and update the shop manuals.

As I have pointed out before, even once in a thread started by Mr. Tonon, Ford says to use Transfer Case fluid in the transfer case. The only difference between T-case fluid and Merc V is T-case fluid has limited slip friction modifier in it to help with engagement of the gears and operation of the magnetic spin-up clutch. And about $6 on the price of a quart.

I have used Merc V or equivalent. in many transfer cases, including my own, to no ill effect.

Last edited:

Mike Tonon

it's been observed to cause degradation of shift quality on some M5OD transmissions, so I do not recommend it's use in the M5OD).
What do you recommend? And what's different about Mercon compared to Mercon V?

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
What do you recommend? And what's different about Mercon compared to Mercon V?
"Dex/Merc". Another variation might be "Multi-Vehicle ATF".
Valvoline, Castrol, and others still make it, though you won't find it under the Motorcraft label or at a Ford dealer anymore.
The label will say: "Meets Dextron III and Mercon requirements" or something similar (along with a note: "Do not use in applications calling for Mercon V").

Mercon V is a semi-synthetic fluid. My best theory is that it contains an additive that is too slippery for the synchros in a manual transmission to function as intended, making for harder, and/or clunkier shifting (including difficulty getting it into gear while stopped, which can be easily mistaken for a clutch issue).

I recall there were a few guys awhile back who also used 0W-30 synthetic engine oil in their M5ODs, with good results, though I haven't seen much discussion about it lately, so I can't say if this is still common or not.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
I have been using Royal Purple Synchromax. It provides improved shifting compared to the original fluid Ford put in it. I have over 180K miles on the transmission and most of it has been with Synchromax. The only problem I had with it was a small leak at the housing/extension interface due to poor application of sealant by the OEM. Otherwise, it still works like new. It does seem to degrade over time and needs to be changed around 60K miles.

I use Mobile 1 ATF in my transfer case.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals