• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ripped off by my local Ford dealer.....

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
The actuator for the temperature blend door on my 2010 Ford F-150 makes a knocking noise if you turn it to far towards the hot setting. It will stop if you turn it back towards the cool.

Today I took the truck in to Columbiana Ford for an oil change before I go on vacation, and told them about the bad actuator. They said they would try to get it fixed under warranty.

I get a phone call stating that the actuator isn't under warranty, and it's $310.00 + tax to fix it. They also tell me it's only a $40.00 part, but it's 3-hours of labor.

I tell them not to fix it and just do the oil change.

I go in to pick up the truck and my bill is $101.00! They charged me $59.99 to tell me that my actuator is bad. The bill said the did a run out pin test. It doesn't take a master mechanic to know it has a bad actuator. I can't believe I just paid $59.99 to have them tell me the actuator I told them was bad, was bad.

I've been conserving money to take my family on vacation for a few days, and just pissed away $60.00 for nothing.

I'm so pissed off. :temper:

:pissedoff:

mp3deviant721

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l of fury
Transmission
Manual
You didn't ok a test did you? You might be able to fight it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jim Oaks

Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
I didn't know they were going to do a test. I told them what was wrong when I took it in, and the only issue was if it was going to be covered under warranty.

I have a 2010 Ford F-150, and I can't even get the damn actuator fixed under warranty. I even purchased an extended warranty so I can be sure the drivetrain is covered. I guess the actuator under the dash is no longer covered because I have 39,000 miles - because the actuator somehow suffers wear and tear driving.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Mechanics get told all sorts of goofy stuff by customers, they have to actually check it to know what is up and if warrenty will cover it. Their time is worth something and if Ford isn't going to pay them to do it the customer will.

I would be picking on the guy that says it isn't covered under warrenty... a lot. Call Ford customer service and pitch a fit, don't forget to mention you are a long term Ford customer... you just might get it fixed and your $60 back. :icon_thumby:

hondaxr650

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The actuator for the temperature blend door on my 2010 Ford F-150 makes a knocking noise if you turn it to far towards the hot setting. It will stop if you turn it back towards the cool.

Today I took the truck in to Columbiana Ford for an oil change before I go on vacation, and told them about the bad actuator. They said they would try to get it fixed under warranty.

I get a phone call stating that the actuator isn't under warranty, and it's $310.00 + tax to fix it. They also tell me it's only a $40.00 part, but it's 3-hours of labor.

I tell them not to fix it and just do the oil change.

I go in to pick up the truck and my bill is $101.00! They charged me $59.99 to tell me that my actuator is bad. The bill said the did a run out pin test. It doesn't take a master mechanic to know it has a bad actuator. I can't believe I just paid $59.99 to have them tell me the actuator I told them was bad, was bad.

I've been conserving money to take my family on vacation for a few days, and just pissed away $60.00 for nothing.

I'm so pissed off. :temper:

:pissedoff:
I hate hearing stuff like this because it makes all us dealerships look bad. I'd fight it if you didn't ok the checkout. Besides, anyone who has worked at a Ford dealership for more than a day knows this is a common problem and would have known the actuator was bad without ripping you off for a diag. charge.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
yeah, i'd raise hell. that's a load of shit.

dankhimself

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I hear that loud and clear, I had the cruise control recall harness done on my 97 4.0 a few weeks back. They used 7 zip ties and tied to the refrigerant line. I know you don't mount a stationary harness to a moving part attached to the engine. The harness mounts to the brake master.

I also told the service manager not to turn the wheel all the way because my lift was in the mail and it was rubbing on the fender, I said only one and a quarter wheel turns, which was more than enough for me to get around everywhere. He smirked and laughed, and said "ok", which seemed sarcastic.

I got the truck back with 5 lugs on the tire sliced into s'not a quarter inch. They said I never told them that AMD it must have been like that since it didn't rub. I knew it rubbed from testing the steering radius while not moving.
I know there are great dealerships out there, but All American Ford in Hackensack NJ is not one of them. I know its a recall job AMD they only get 1.2 hrs flat rate or something, but a plug and play harness takes 3 minutes from start to finish. And the purple wire in my master was ripped out of the plug, they said it was like that. Still not sure what its for, can't find it in my Chilton.

I should have just dealt with the cruise control sticking on the highway and bailed from the truck when it happens, would have Pissed me off less hahahahah.

Im a dealer and MMI trained bike tech, I worked at three dealers, one is the largest in the area, and I never rushed or treated customers like fools.

Jim Oaks

Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
I don't have an issue with the guys in the shop getting paid. The last time I was in there was earlier in the spring because my truck wouldn't start when it get's cold. They couldn't find anything wrong with it, and all they could do was spray cleaner in the intake, and charge me for bringing it in.

BUT HERE'S THE ISSUE:

It's 2012. My F-150 is a 2010. I purchased an extended warranty. Therefore, I as a customer have an expectation that when there is a problem with my 2-year old truck, I should be able to go to the dealer and get it fixed. It should be coming out of Ford's pocket, not mine.

A 2-year old actuator going bad isn't my problem, it's Ford's problem. It's unreasonable for someone paying over $30,000 for a new truck, to think that the actuator for the temperature control would go bad after 2-years, and that they would have to pay for it out of pocket.

So what has Ford's greed done? After (3) brand new F-150's, I'm thinking about dumping this one for a Chevy Tahoe, especially before winter comes around again and it won't start.

veefer800canuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That's why I stay out of the stealership unless it's 1000% necessary.

I try to do all my own work, and source afftermarket parts.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
BUT HERE'S THE ISSUE:

It's 2012. My F-150 is a 2010. I purchased an extended warranty. Therefore, I as a customer have an expectation that when there is a problem with my 2-year old truck, I should be able to go to the dealer and get it fixed. It should be coming out of Ford's pocket, not mine.

A 2-year old actuator going bad isn't my problem, it's Ford's problem. It's unreasonable for someone paying over $30,000 for a new truck, to think that the actuator for the temperature control would go bad after 2-years, and that they would have to pay for it out of pocket.

So what has Ford's greed done? After (3) brand new F-150's, I'm thinking about dumping this one for a Chevy Tahoe, especially before winter comes around again and it won't start.
I fully agree, IMO the dealer is jerking you around. That is why I recommended crying on customer service's shoulder. They can pull more strings (especially to keep a loyal customer) than a dealer sometimes will.

If you have another dealer close it might be easier to ask them about fixing it too, you would still be out your $60 though.

That's why I stay out of the stealership unless it's 1000% necessary.

I try to do all my own work, and source afftermarket parts.
That would kind of defeat most of the point of buying a newer (if not new) vehicle.

Last edited:

Jim Oaks

Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
I fully agree, IMO the dealer is jerking you around. That is why I recommended crying on customer service's shoulder. They can pull more strings (especially to keep a loyal customer) than a dealer sometimes will.
I don't think Ford really cares.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I don't think Ford really cares.
My brother works in the shop at the local dealer, they have had customers do the same thing when something is not normally covered under warrenty. Something like this it should be, they might come down on the dealer for not doing it.

It is a 1-800 number, they won't do anything worse than laugh at you. :idiot:

If you have questions or concerns about your vehicle, please follow the steps below:

1.Contact your Sales Representative or Service Advisor at your selling/servicing dealership.
2.If your inquiry or concern remains unresolved, contact the Sales Manager or Service Manager at the dealership.
3.If your inquiry or concern cannot be resolved at the dealership level, please contact our Customer Relationship Center by one of the methods below.

PhoneUnited States
+1-800-392-3673
+1-800-232-5952 (TDD for the Hearing Impaired)
Available 8:00 a.m.- 5:00 p.m. Local Time, Monday-Friday
http://corporate.ford.com/our-company/contact-ford

Last edited:

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
^
i think i'd at least try that

Twister

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985 1987
Make / Model
Duh
Engine Size
5.0L, 2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Definitely call the 1-800 number. We have an 08 escape, they have a known rust issue on the seam on the tail gate. I have seen 2011's have a rusted hatch, its unacceptable. They told us they would not fix it because it was no perforated. So we call the number several times and pitched a bitch. So they fixed the hatch (which has started to rust again), repainted the front and rear bumpers, and fixed a paint chip on one of the wheel arches all for $300.

We will be taking it back because the hatch is starting to rust again like mentioned before.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals