• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

M50D R2 Shaft Length

Pineywoods

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 Ranger
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm using a 1996 Explorer 5.0 engine and a 1997 F150 M50D R2 which mated fine. I read in an article that the pilot shaft had to be shortened, does anyone know about this problem?

Tedybear

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994, 2001
Make / Model
1994 Ford Bronc
Engine Size
5.8v8
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Failing is easy. Everyone can do it.
If anyone has a 100% answer to this? Let both of us know! The M5OD-R1 in our explorer I think has a blown output shaft bearing. But I'm stuck still driving it until I can source a replacement. The R2 would make more sense, but I'm in the same boat wondering about the input shafts now...

I do know R1 and R2 would need to have the shift lever changed out, as the notch is in a different spot.

S-

Elutheros

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'm running a 5.0 with the M5ODR2 and no modifications were needed. It bolts right up--mine is a 4x4 but that shouldn't make a difference.

Tedybear--you have a different problem. The R2 used with the F150 will not bolt up to the 4.0 I assume you have in your Explorer. The 5.0 bell housing has a different bolt pattern.

Tedybear

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994, 2001
Make / Model
1994 Ford Bronc
Engine Size
5.8v8
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Failing is easy. Everyone can do it.
I'm running a 5.0 with the M5ODR2 and no modifications were needed. It bolts right up--mine is a 4x4 but that shouldn't make a difference.

Tedybear--you have a different problem. The R2 used with the F150 will not bolt up to the 4.0 I assume you have in your Explorer. The 5.0 bell housing has a different bolt pattern.
True, only a 4.0 or 2.9/2.8? would bolt up for the bell housing.

We spent about an hour at the picky pull looking for another one. I did find 1 several months ago, but it had a blown input shaft bearing set. Yeah a little play up and down/side side is acceptable at the front shaft. The one we pulled? Had a wholeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee lotta boinking around with that shaft.

When the OP mentioned the input shaft being a different size, that struck a cord with ours. Sorry for the mis-communcation.

(and me poor spellin')

I'll try the other yard on Wednesday and next Sunday. I wish these guys would inventory product better. (such as, engine size and drivetrain type.)

S-

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals