• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Bad wheel bearing?

bbbc3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
2.8 V6
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys, my truck just recently developed a vibration while driving. The odd thing is that when the road bends to the right the vibration completely goes away. When the road curves left the vibration gets worse. Does this sound like bad wheel bearings? My truck is an '85 4wd.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, could be wheel bearing or ball joint.

Failing Ball joint can also make a "clunk" noise on speed bumps or similar.

Either could also cause a slight pulling to right or left.

Jack up front wheels and check it out

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Wheel bearings can growl when the vehicle swerves at speed, it is a easy way to test which side is going bad.

On yours you might just disassemble/repack the bearings if they look good. Pretty easy to fix.

bbbc3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
2.8 V6
Transmission
Manual
Thanks guys, I'll give this a shot!

bbbc3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
2.8 V6
Transmission
Manual
Wheel bearings can growl when the vehicle swerves at speed, it is a easy way to test which side is going bad.

On yours you might just disassemble/repack the bearings if they look good. Pretty easy to fix.
2 things:
1.) I replaced the bearings and now it has a fine hum to it. Almost has if I can hear the bearings spinning. I packed them really good with grease. I believe I may have tightened the inner spindle nut too much. I'll back off the tention as soon as I get a chance and see if that helps.

2.) Should the axle have some play in it? It moves around about 1/4 inch in each direction. see pic..

View attachment 21426

Last edited:

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
The locking hub supports the outer end of the axle shaft, so yes, it is normal for it to wiggle within the spindle with the hub removed.

It might already be too late if your bearings are humming. Once damage is done to them from overtightening, it's permanent. You'll need to replace the bearings (replacement of both the race & the cone).

FYI, the inner bearing nut gets 35 ft-lbs right after repacking the bearings, spin the rotor several revolutions back & forth, then loosen the nut back up and retighten it to 15 INCH-lbs (basically just snug it with the socket by hand), then tighten the outer locknut to 200-225 ft-lbs (or if you have auto hubs, insert the lock key to lock the inner bearing nut from turning).

bbbc3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
2.8 V6
Transmission
Manual
The locking hub supports the outer end of the axle shaft, so yes, it is normal for it to wiggle within the spindle with the hub removed.

It might already be too late if your bearings are humming. Once damage is done to them from overtightening, it's permanent. You'll need to replace the bearings (replacement of both the race & the cone).

FYI, the inner bearing nut gets 35 ft-lbs right after repacking the bearings, spin the rotor several revolutions back & forth, then loosen the nut back up and retighten it to 15 INCH-lbs (basically just snug it with the socket by hand), then tighten the outer locknut to 200-225 ft-lbs (or if you have auto hubs, insert the lock key to lock the inner bearing nut from turning).
I hope I didn't damage them, I just rode around the block and parked it after hearing the hum. Also the bearing race was not required in the replacment. The inner rotor is the race, at least that was my impression. For the inner bearing nut i tightened it and snugged it with a socket wrench. I think this is the cause of my issue. I'll try to work on it tonight and report back to this thread. Thanks for the info and help!!

BLOODBANE

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORDFORD
Engine Size
347, 4.oh
Transmission
Automatic
I hope I didn't damage them, I just rode around the block and parked it after hearing the hum. Also the bearing race was not required in the replacment. The inner rotor is the race, at least that was my impression. For the inner bearing nut i tightened it and snugged it with a socket wrench. I think this is the cause of my issue. I'll try to work on it tonight and report back to this thread. Thanks for the info and help!!
no there is a race in there. Its designed to be replaceable and not the whole rotor. Takes a long punch, but it will come out.

bbbc3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
2.8 V6
Transmission
Manual
no there is a race in there. Its designed to be replaceable and not the whole rotor. Takes a long punch, but it will come out.
Oh snap.. this could be the problem! Is there a race on the outter bearing too?

In this video the guy does not mention a race or even show him putting a new one in? It starts at 6:05. I guess he was wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvAAAGVlU2A

Hagan

08/2013 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

bbbc3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
2.8 V6
Transmission
Manual
Ok so last night I completely removed the inner and outter bearing, repacked them, installed new races and put everything back to spec. I still have a slight hum. I'm starting to think I got a bad set of bearings? I got them from O'reillys.

Hagan

08/2013 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok so last night I completely removed the inner and outter bearing, repacked them, installed new races and put everything back to spec. I still have a slight hum. I'm starting to think I got a bad set of bearings? I got them from O'reillys.
Jack the wheels off the ground then spin the tires

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals