• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Oil Pressure gauge

99ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hey all I just bought a 99 3.0 v6 a couple weeks ago under the premise that it needed an oil pump and after some reading I was hopeful it just needed an Oil Pressure Sending Unit. Well today I replaced the OPSU and fired up the truck and the gauge read normal (btw I know its just an idiot switch that reads normal if it has 7psi or more) and I took it for a test drive and about half a mile down the road the gauge started slapping back and forth really hard so I turned around to head home, on the way home it read normal most of the way and just as I got home it completely flatlined Any thoughts? O and the truck had no get up and go when I hit the petal, no real power. It has 255k miles. Thanks

Tedybear

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994, 2001
Make / Model
1994 Ford Bronc
Engine Size
5.8v8
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Failing is easy. Everyone can do it.
Hey all I just bought a 99 3.0 v6 a couple weeks ago under the premise that it needed an oil pump and after some reading I was hopeful it just needed an Oil Pressure Sending Unit. Well today I replaced the OPSU and fired up the truck and the gauge read normal (btw I know its just an idiot switch that reads normal if it has 7psi or more) and I took it for a test drive and about half a mile down the road the gauge started slapping back and forth really hard so I turned around to head home, on the way home it read normal most of the way and just as I got home it completely flatlined Any thoughts? O and the truck had no get up and go when I hit the petal, no real power. It has 255k miles. Thanks
Can't speak to the "no power" issue, as more detailed info would be needed.

And yeah, that dummy gauge is a foolish idea made for lazy people that can't understand how oil pressure works in an engine. That being said:

I've installed a "T" fitting in the past and run both a mechanical gauge and the electronic "switch". That way you can see exactly what the oil pressure is doing. See the gauge 'twitch', look at the physical pressure to ensure you have at least 10PSI per 1,000 RPM. That's usual a safe area.

As for the other issues? I'll let others with more understanding of the 3.0 respond.

S-

99ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Ya I figured that a mechanical gauge was the next step. I also had a very knowledgeable guy suggest changing the oil but adding a quart or 2 of ATF to maybe jar some crap loose in there, he figures it is likely a clogged oil sump.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals