• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

98 4x4 4 speed auto to 5 speed manual swap

AndrewAdams

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
HI everyone, this is my first post on the forum so let me say this forum has helped me tremendously over the last year. I've always been able to find what I need until now.
I have a 98 ranger 4x4 3.0 4 speed auto with 200k miles, the trans is slipping and shuddering under a load. I was given a rolled ranger with 30k miles on it, it's an 03 edge 2 wheel drive 3.0 with a 5 speed manual.
My question is can I bolt the manual transmission (Mazda M50D-R1 5 speed) to the electronic transfer case (bw1354). This is my first 4x4 and my knowledge is limited

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I think being an Edge that does make things more compatible, if you climb under the truck and see a dummy transfer case then yes you have everything you need for the swap. If there is no dummy transfer case just a skinny tail housing that leads to the rear drive shaft you'll need to find another donor transmission. Luckily that transmission can be from a '91 to end of production 3.0L powered 4x4 Ranger...

For the swap you will need to do the following (as long as you have a 4x4 transmission):
-swap the engine computer from your donor truck (for the manual transmission)
-physically swap the transmissions (your transfer case will bolt up, and both transmissions are the same length)
-swap in the pedal assembly from the donor truck (this could be complicated and involve removing the dash, not sure)
-install the clutch master cylinder onto the firewall and connect to the clutch pedal

If I remember right the 2 wheel drive Edge models were the same as 4x4 models just without the front axle and possibly a dummy transfer case...

AndrewAdams

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The edge has no transfer case just the normal 2 wheel drive tail shaft. Can I change to a 4 wheel drive tail shaft I don't really wanna roll the dice on a salvage transmission

Kealel

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The edge has no transfer case just the normal 2 wheel drive tail shaft. Can I change to a 4 wheel drive tail shaft I don't really wanna roll the dice on a salvage transmission
You only need 2 parts to swap a 2x4 tranny to 4x4... The output shaft (requires a complete disassembly of the trans) and the tailshaft housing.

AndrewAdams

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Is a complete disassembly and reassembly something I should attempt? I have zero experience working on transmissions I watched a couple videos on the subject and it looks pretty straight forward. Also where is the best place to order those parts from.

Kealel

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Is a complete disassembly and reassembly something I should attempt? I have zero experience working on transmissions I watched a couple videos on the subject and it looks pretty straight forward. Also where is the best place to order those parts from.
I'm on the same boat as you right now, so I can't really answer that...

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
They aren't really a hard transmission to work on, it's been a few years since I was into mine

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals