• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Add ipod input jack for Ford radio/cassette

cvar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Add AUX input (ipod) jack for Ford radio/cassette

Our 2001 Lincoln has a (broken) CD6 changer that once plugged into the 2nd socket behind the Ford factory radio. I really wanted an ipod/AUX input, but the radio socket pins didn't permit that. Awk!

It seems Ford radios require a digital signal from CD. I tried hooking an analog audio signal into its R+L inputs, but that didn't work. We seldom use cassettes, but cassettes are analog (not digital). That's perfect! So here was my solution.

I did this, which works perfectly:

Step 1: Open up the Ford cassette/radio.

Step 2: Visually find the 2 audio pins, clearly marked on cassette module's circuit board, where the analog R+L signals exit from the cassette mechanism. See the left end of this row of pins:

Step 3: I cut the long 2 audio (R+L) wires that ran between this cassette circuit board and the radio's main circuit board.

Step 4: Solder a 1/8" dia. stereo phone jack ($3) between the cut wires (after extending the wires).
RadioShack® 1/8" Stereo Panel-Mount Phone Jack, Model: 274-246, Catalog: 274-246
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103451

This simple phono jack acts as a switch between tape & ipod, just by virtue of plugging your ipod headphone signal (or whatever) into it. So, when the ipod is NOT plugged into this jack, the jack will reconnect each of the 2 cut wires to act same as before. But when something IS plugged in, then the ipod R+L signals are sent to the radio instead of the original cassette player's R+L signals. You'll also need a 3rd wire from radio's ground.

Notice that I did not alter anything on either cassette or radio circuit board. Only tap into the R+L wires that run between them. Much like using audio cables between each of your home stereo components.

Step 5: Install the new ipod jack somewhere on your Ford radio's front panel (or nearby).

Step 6: Reinstall radio, enjoy ipod music!

To operate this, select TAPE, and play a cassette. Then plug your ipod into this new jack to hear the ipod music signal instead of cassette.

Aside: Your tape player might need to have a dummy cassette inserted, since some players use that as the power-ON switch for the cassette mechanism itself. You don't really need the cassette mechanism any longer, but your radio itself may refuse to accept the "tape" audio signals unless it senses power on the cassette player.

Wiring Details:

1 = ground
2 = left audio signal output (to radio)
3 = right audio signal output (to radio)
A = normal left audio input (from tape)
B = normal right audio input (from tape)

The jack has spring-loaded connections, so normally (A connects to 2) and (B connects to 3), which means tape signals (A&B) go straight to radio (2&3). But when the ipod headphone is plugged in, the ipod signals instead will go out via 2 and 3, whereas A and B are disconnected (internally).

This is an AUX input. Any audio source will do. Ipod, phone, MP3 player, etc.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals