• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ranger audio questions!

CrackerJack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
Alright so I have a 2003 Ranger standard cab 3.0 automatic. It was a fleet truck at one point so it has vinyl seats and whatever. Anyways so I finally got some money together to put my old car stereo in (2 years old) so I hit up the local car audio shop and got some parts ordered for a stereo install.

HOWEVER.

I feel like my ranger is special, not in a good way, as these were once work vehicles I fear they were not built to the same spec as the standard civilian vehicles. I would love to put in 2 6.5" Kappas in my doors like all the readups and crutchfield.com have told me would fit. But the guy at the audio shop said that I had 5.25" speakers and would need an adapter or some minor cut and re-drill. Which is fine I paid $1100 for the truck IDGAF. SO I guess my question is, what is safe as far as mounting depths in this door??? It has no power anything and seems quite, slender... And what tips do you guys have in general???

Installing: JVC Arsenal KD-AHD69

Thank you in advance!
Tyler

wr250rdr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The audio guy has no idea what he is talking about. It has 6x8s in the door. Yes 6.25s will fit with an adaptor. They are available on eBay and a lot of other places

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
The audio guy has no idea what he is talking about. It has 6x8s in the door. Yes 6.25s will fit with an adaptor. They are available on eBay and a lot of other places
X2

CrackerJack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
Ahhh thank you for clearing that up! Hopefully my dash kit works then lol

AmericanPride

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Actually they're 5X7's and 6X8's have the same mounting size so they fit. I always have used 6X8's myself.

There's much better than Kappa for the price. Go to a non corporate audio shop and look around. Also...if you want the best sound, get component speakers. They have a separate tweeter and woofer. And if you want to keep your amp costs down. Alpine makes a new head unit "power pack" bridge that on some components and you'll be amazed. The pack should run no more than $125-$150 anywhere in the country.

wr250rdr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have that power pack. The pn is k445 I believe. And honestly it had its Pros and cons.
Pros
-small size
-zero wiring to be done just plug and play if you have an alpine headunit
-plenty of tail on the connectors so its easily mounted anywhere
-you can get them for 80 shipped on eBay

Cons
-no tune-ability
-only 45 watts of power per channel
- contrary to belief it is not bridgeable to the best of my knowledge and alpine tech support couldn't explain how to bridge it to me.

If I didn't get it for dirt cheap I would have gone with a standard 4 channel amp with 75 watts or more of rms power

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Actually they're 5X7's
Ummm, no. Ford and Mazda use 6X8's, just as was already indicated. My 6X8's say for Ford and Mazda right on them. Mine will not fit in a 5X7 hole. Speaker companies do make mounting holes in 5X7's for use in a 6X8 hole though.

Sent from a Commodore 64 using a 300 baud modem

AmericanPride

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
OK...it's not like I'm a MECP certified installer with 10 years experience or anything. Stock speakers are 5X7, just because your "high end" lol, speakers are 6X8 and say Ford on them doesn't change what stock sizes are. Don't start an argument over this. I have always used 6X8's and never had a problem from old Infinity, Hertz, Focal, MB Quart, and the dozens of other brands I've installed over the years.

As far as the power pack being bridgeable, I've run them that way. Remember that the customer service isn't really a tech/installer. Bridged should be running about 80-90 depending on your impedance of the speakers. Worst case she would warm up on long drives if you ran her hard the whole time, not a huge deal.

AmericanPride

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
And FYI...they have a new universal power pack. Better than the old one. It just has RCA's instead of the Alpine plug.

wr250rdr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm well aware the capabilities of customer service, hence why I spoke to a tech... Basically my model with the alpine plug on it is not bridgeable according to everything I have read and everyone I have spoken to. If you have a write up on bridging one please post it on here so I can use it, no sarcasm or Internet dickery here. Still with being able to bridge it I still wouldn't buy one at retail price or at a discount again, I would rather buy a dedicated 4 channel amp with full tuning control

As for the speaker size technically they may be 5x7 in the book. But as a general rule 99% of 6x8s will fit with no issue. And all the top brands will, alpine, focal, mb quart, etc. pissing match settled

Also OP. I tend to avoid crutch most of my purchases. They are generally 30% higher then most online shops. I tend to shop at sonic electronix for a few reasons: 1 they are pretty much the best price around on most things 2 they are about a 20 minute drive from my house and about 2 minutes from my work so pick up is easy. But they also have free shipping on everything.

Last edited:

AmericanPride

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Last edited:

AmericanPride

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Once again, no they are not. Maybe you'll believe a tape measurer?

Don't you feel special. Whatever helps you feel better. I'm not going to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man. I'm not here to argue with a backyard installer. Bye

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Don't you feel special. Whatever helps you feel better. I'm not going to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man. I'm not here to argue with a backyard installer. Bye
Mmkay. Bye.

hoosier1104

I'm Awesome!
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 based goodness
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Work hard and play harder
You guys crack me up. Polish a turd it is still a Chevy.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals