• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

what is wrong with my radio

scheff

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ok i have a little problem that is making me mad i went to put a different radio in my truck i took the stock one out and get the wire harness to put the new radio in the truck i wired everything up correctly and nothing happened i hooked up the stock radio and it is not working ether i looked at the fuses and everyone of them looked good does anyone no what is going on i need the radio for my 1 drive to work

armadillon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Punctuation works wonders. It's very difficult to comprehend what you're saying otherwise. Dont take that as being mean please, I'm just being honest, I had to reread your post twice before understanding.

What I suspect though, is that your wiring may indeed be off or that you have an insufficient ground. You may want to check if the radios are fried by just hooking up the ground and the power wire to your battery.

Probably goes without saying, but be sure to turn the key to the on position to see if the radio comes on. Also, recheck your fuse, one bad wire cross and that fuse can snap easy.

In short, there is no other obvious reasons. Per Occam's Razor, the simplest explanation is usually the best. Fuse or bad wiring. Be sure to check the fuse on the back of the radio if there is one.

Last edited:

killj0y

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4 Banger
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Fix it till its broke!
Punctuation works wonders. It's very difficult to comprehend what you're saying otherwise. Dont take that as being mean please, I'm just being honest, I had to reread your post twice before understanding.

What I suspect though, is that your wiring may indeed be off or that you have an insufficient ground. You may want to check if the radios are fried by just hooking up the ground and the power wire to your battery.

Probably goes without saying, but be sure to turn the key to the on position to see if the radio comes on. Also, recheck your fuse, one bad wire cross and that fuse can snap easy.

In short, there is no other obvious reasons. Per Occam's Razor, the simplest explanation is usually the best. Fuse or bad wiring. Be sure to check the fuse on the back of the radio if there is one.
I second this, can't be anything else really. Make sure the constant 12v and switched are properly wired, as well as your ground these are the most common problem areas and any one of them will cause the stereo to be dead.

Now you mention the stock not working, were you having problems with it that caused you to change it out in the first place? Did you cut any wiring at all? Or the stock is still a straight hookup?

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
From: http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/stereodetail/905.html

1989-90 Ford Ranger Stereo Wiring
Constant 12V+ Green/Yellow
Switched 12V+ Yellow/Black
Ground Chassis
Illumination Blue/Red
Dimmer n/a
Antenna Trigger n/a
Antenna Right Front
Front Speakers 6 1/2" Doors
Left Front (+) Orange/Green
Left Front (-) Black/White
Right Front (+) White/Green
Right Front (-) Black/White
Rear Speakers 5" x 7" Rear Wall
Left Rear (+) Pink/Green
Left Rear (-) Pink/Blue
Right Rear (+) Pink/Blue
Right Rear (-) Green/Orange

The big thing I see in there is GROUND CHASSIS. That indicates to me that there needs to be a ground wire attached to either the bracket that the radio mounts into or on the radio's case itself. In other words, if the radio is not mounted as in you are holding it in your hand, it won't get a ground and won't work.

killj0y

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4 Banger
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Fix it till its broke!
Just whip out the multimeter and check your constant 12v, switched 12v and ground. If those are good it should power up. If it doesn't it might be defective.

scheff

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
there is was nothing wrong with the stock radio, i just was given a new one that i wanted to use, i did not cut any wires i spent the money to get the wire harness to hook everything up the right way...... i figured out what the problem was i went through the fuses agine and found one that blew thanks for the help guys :)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals